Question about SLU's Highlight videos

I was thinking about this the other day then saw it posted on the frontpage and it reminded me.

SLU disseminates these highlight videos after the game, shot by a staffer with a flipcam underneath our basket. Horrible views of the highlights ensue, but at least it's something.

Why do they do this? The arena has manned cameras all over the place at every game. During games they have replays with different views of the court and of much better quality. The games are shown on the monitors at the concession stands using cameras from all over the arena. The footage is there.

Why doesn't SLU splice together footage from the Arena cameras and make a decent highlight package of each game and then disseminate that on their site. They run the cameras anyway, it is their arena. They have the footage, it is played on the 4 big screens. Why don't they put that on the site? How hard could it be?

Meanwhile they offer these bush highlight films shot on what could be someones phone?

I was thinking about this the other day then saw it posted on the frontpage and it reminded me.

SLU disseminates these highlight videos after the game, shot by a staffer with a flipcam underneath our basket. Horrible views of the highlights ensue, but at least it's something.

Why do they do this? The arena has manned cameras all over the place at every game. During games they have replays with different views of the court and of much better quality. The games are shown on the monitors at the concession stands using cameras from all over the arena. The footage is there.

Why doesn't SLU splice together footage from the Arena cameras and make a decent highlight package of each game and then disseminate that on their site. They run the cameras anyway, it is their arena. They have the footage, it is played on the 4 big screens. Why don't they put that on the site? How hard could it be?

Meanwhile they offer these bush highlight films shot on what could be someones phone?

Same reason they use a single webcam to shoot the game instead of these same cameras. Whoever is running this thing isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

The issue is that SLU doesn't run the A/V, or the stadium for that matter. Much like the Blues, Cards, and Rams do not run their own A/V. Through research there is an outside company that is contracted out to run games, events, and concerts that sort of thing for Chaifetz. If the AD wanted to use the footage I'm sure they would have to shell out $$$ for that. But why spend the money on the same footage if there are a couple hundred people watching the highlights on their youtube page? If they wanted to send a "Top 10" highlight in to ESPN or something they would probably pay for the actual footage. It's not a cut and dry black/white issue. I don't think the flip cam videos are that bad considering it's probably an intern filming them.

its a $ issue as far as the web feed goes...

I don't buy that. Streaming the feed that is already recorded and produced in the stadium would most likely require minimal changes to the technical infrastructure. I would imagine the bulk of the load is placed on CBSCS servers anyway, so what is it that is so pricey? Considering the lack of consistency in even remembering to turn the camera on on-time, I stand behind my initial assessment.

Same reason they use a single webcam to shoot the game instead of these same cameras. Whoever is running this thing isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Declan O'Neill on line two for you.