If the Big 12's new contracts are only with ESPN

STLfan

Saw this posted on another website and it got me thinking. If the Big 12 no longer has a contract with Fox after they sign a new contract could more SLU games be picked up statewide on Fox Sports Midwest?

"If you’re asking why ESPN is close to finalizing a deal to link up with Texas as its broadcast partner for the new Longhorn television network for exorbitant figures perhaps approaching $15 million a year, it’s because the worldwide leader is hoping to use this platform as a way to leverage - with Texas’ help - a deal to acquire all of the Big 12’s television rights that will be negotiated next spring. And, yes, we all know Texas has clout. If the other nine members of the reconfigured Big 12 don’t go along, Texas hasn’t minded using its power before and could easily reopen talks with the Pac-12 or go independent. ESPN is positioning itself for the inside track with the Big 12 and squeezing out Fox. One very highly placed Big 12 school official told me this week the other nine schools are holding preliminary discussions about their own networks. To avoid Texas threatening to leave again, the opinion here is the Big 12 must be aggressive and try to strengthen itself against other assaults. That means looking to expand. It should go after Arkansas and LSU, Arizona and Arizona State, heck even Notre Dame. I keep hearing Kansas is talking to the Big East. Who would blame the Jayhawks for looking since they were nearly left out in the last realignment merry-go-round?"

Link to Article

Saw this posted on another website and it got me thinking. If the Big 12 no longer has a contract with Fox after they sign a new contract could more SLU games be picked up statewide on Fox Sports Midwest?

"If you’re asking why ESPN is close to finalizing a deal to link up with Texas as its broadcast partner for the new Longhorn television network for exorbitant figures perhaps approaching $15 million a year, it’s because the worldwide leader is hoping to use this platform as a way to leverage - with Texas’ help - a deal to acquire all of the Big 12’s television rights that will be negotiated next spring. And, yes, we all know Texas has clout. If the other nine members of the reconfigured Big 12 don’t go along, Texas hasn’t minded using its power before and could easily reopen talks with the Pac-12 or go independent. ESPN is positioning itself for the inside track with the Big 12 and squeezing out Fox. One very highly placed Big 12 school official told me this week the other nine schools are holding preliminary discussions about their own networks. To avoid Texas threatening to leave again, the opinion here is the Big 12 must be aggressive and try to strengthen itself against other assaults. That means looking to expand. It should go after Arkansas and LSU, Arizona and Arizona State, heck even Notre Dame. I keep hearing Kansas is talking to the Big East. Who would blame the Jayhawks for looking since they were nearly left out in the last realignment merry-go-round?"

Link to Article

"It should go after Arkansas and LSU, Arizona and Arizona State, heck even Notre Dame" from statesman.com

I find it hard to believe any of these schools would be interested in the Big 12-2

"If youre asking why ESPN is close to finalizing a deal to link up with Texas as its broadcast partner for the new Longhorn television network for exorbitant figures perhaps approaching $15 million a year, its because the worldwide leader is hoping to use this platform as a way to leverage - with Texas help - a deal to acquire all of the Big 12s television rights that will be negotiated next spring. And, yes, we all know Texas has clout. If the other nine members of the reconfigured Big 12 dont go along, Texas hasnt minded using its power before and could easily reopen talks with the Pac-12 or go independent. ESPN is positioning itself for the inside track with the Big 12 and squeezing out Fox. One very highly placed Big 12 school official told me this week the other nine schools are holding preliminary discussions about their own networks. To avoid Texas threatening to leave again, the opinion here is the Big 12 must be aggressive and try to strengthen itself against other assaults. That means looking to expand. It should go after Arkansas and LSU, Arizona and Arizona State, heck even Notre Dame. I keep hearing Kansas is talking to the Big East. Who would blame the Jayhawks for looking since they were nearly left out in the last realignment merry-go-round?"

Link to Article

1) You shouldn't believe everything you read on an Austin blog.

2) I'm pretty sure they are only talking about football there and FSMW will be covering MU basketball for the foreseeable future. Besides, until SLU becomes a team that the average fan really wants to follow, FSMW won't want anything to do with us.

Maybe a bit off topic but why does SLU run a FSMW add between the benches during KPLR televised games?

I'll go ahead and assume it's because FSMW is a paying sponsor and we need the money.

I don't think Fox has a problem with SLU. Isn't it the bad TV deal that the conference entered that prevented Fox from braodcasting any games?