darren brooks

pbill

could someone explain to me why darren brooks isn't starting in our backcourt right now. heard on espn that he was a 3-sport stud in high school who could have played pro baseball. he wanted to go to school close to home and play basketball. SIU was "the closest option." good call romar - edwin, pulley, and floyd mclain were much better choices. if you didn't watch the SIU-C game yesterday, this guy is a stud. a backcourt with him fish and reggie would have been pretty sweet.

Brooks was a three-sport high school player. The summer between his junior and senior year he had a broken hand/wrist and did not play AAU ball. Prior to signing with SIU-C, bRooks had one offer, that being Morris Brown College in Atlanta. SIU-C gambled and gave Brooks a scholarship. I believe he redshirted his first year. SIU-C hit the jackpot! Kudos to them.

your post is ridiculous. brooks is a late bloomer. no way we should be crucified for not taking him. yes he would look nice in a billiken uniform right now, but nothing told us at the time he would be this good.

my post isn't really ridiculous - if you took the time to read it you would realize that i was asking why he isn't a billiken - i was wondering if anyone knew his status in high school. i was surrendering the fact that i didn't know anything about him. in other words, i wasn't claiming to know all. you should consider doing the same on occasion instead of defending former coaches and friends so much that you lose credibility. romar missed the boat on a lot of players (phillip gilbert and darren brooks included) and gave scholarships to players who never did anything at this school. in fact fish, sloan, brown, and varner will end up being the only 4 guys he brought in who actually finished here. pretty poor recruiting record no matter how you look at it in my mind.

without the benefit of hindsight based on what they did in high school and their physical dimensions, which one of sloan, edwin or mcclain would you have passed on to take the very unheralded and small 2 guard, brooks?

i have been as critical of edwin AFTER he got here as anyone. probably no one crucified him more than me on this board. but the fact is, his physical size and athleticism made him the far smarter recruit when we picked him. sloan is the type of player everyone on this board always clamours for. the local hero with size and heart that ends up being the guts of the team. imo he lived up to that and i would hate to think what this team would have been had he not been here. and mcclain was the closest thing we had to a highly ranked player who unfortunately was bitten by the injury bug everafter. we dont know what he might have been. but again, just physical dimensions and athleticism made him a better pick at the time than brooks.