Soccer: SLU v NM

SLUBALLS

I purchased the game online last night and watched up till about the 81 minute. Feed wasn't the best so it was hard to identify guys well. General thoughts below:

- NM started four Seniors, two juniors, four Sophomores, and one Freshman. SLU started with Shackleford in goal, Roeckle, SMU kid, Dice, and Brown (right back) in back; Briggs and Robson played d-mid; Bortolon was on the left and Mags on the right; Sweetin was an attacking mid; and Holmes played up top.

- At the outset, SLU was aggressive with lots of pressure on NM in their half. It was apparent they were not going to simply sit back. The pressure was at least half way into NM's half. NM almost socred on a misplay by one of our backs that led to a 1v1 with Shackleford but he came up with a save. I seriously thought there was going to be a penalty but guess it was a fair challenge by Shack.

- 10th minute we get a DK on the left side goal line. Ball is played hard across the box and one shot hits the crossbar. Briggs followed it up to score.

- SLU was playing quite direct and pretty much avoiding the use of their midifield to work the ball up field. Brown sent many a long ball down the line. NM took over possession after the goal and stayed in our half for the most part. However, SLU pressured the ball very well and slid laterally to compress space. NM started relying on long shots or dumping the ball into the box as they could not pass through the pressure.

- In the 30th minute NM scores after Shackleford makes a great save on a hard shot but can't hold on. NM player follows up with a rebound goal. From there on out NM held possession for the rest of the half.

-Second half, Adnan came on for Holmes and Newport for Bortolon. Very eary in the second half, there was a save by Shackleford and for whatever reason a NM player was shoved down in the box. Players converged in the box and I thought there might be a penalty. But it didn't go anywhere. My guess is Shackleford was kicked as his save came in traffic.

-49th minutes....NM scores on a cross into the box from the left side and a NM player heads it in. From there on out, NM turned in on pretty hard and SLU could not get any offense going at all. IN the 60th miinute Shackleford made a fantastic diving save on a direct kick about 20 yards out. In the 62nd minute, SLU is trying to move the ball out of the back. They played out to the left hand side of the 18 and then back in to Briggs who loses the ball. NM player takes one step and then hits a screamer to the back post to score.

- I think at this point shots were 17 for NM and 3 for SLU. NM maintained possession for the rest of the time I watched. I didn't see the own goal on NM.

I attended the game last night and it was a beautiful, hot, dry evening at 5400 feet. The UNM Soccer Complex is really very nice and the game was fairly well attended (approximately 1200 fans). I haven't attended a soccer game there for quite a few years, so I took advantage of the Billikens coming to town to renew my interest and support the Bills. The last time I saw the Bills play was in Tampa at USF in the mid-90s.

It was a very enjoyable evening w/ friends who are SLU supporters.

I am not very knowledgeable re: soccer, but I enjoy the game and always follow SLU. My thoughts are that UNM really tended to dominate the game and the statistics showed that (UNM took 21 shots to 4 for SLU and 12 shots on goal to 3 for SLU). I don't know if the altitude was an issue for the team or not, but the Lobos seemed consistently more aggressive.

I am pleased with our new coach and believe he will return SLU to the powerhouse team of the past even though the competition today is much tougher.

Go Bills!

Bills tied S. Florida 0-0

The Bills controlled most of the first half and S. Florida controlled most of the 2nd.

The Bills started with Dice and Vandergriffe in the middle of the back line with Brown and Roeckle wide. Accross the midfield they started Estes, Briggs, Robson, and Sito with Sweet as a linking mid and Holmes up front.

The defensive played an excellent game giving up just 1 dangerous chance the entire game which was a volley from a bad angle midway through the 1st half. I really like the way McGinty has the defense playing, they don't concede the ball consistently looking to move forward and step in front and challenge passes. The Bills also really push the wide defender on the ball side forward and slide the rest of the d over. They give up the far side understanding that they have time to recover and force the ball wide when reversed. They really do an excellent job and I'm sure the more experience and understanding they get, the better they will get. Brown played wide during the last exhibition and I thought it was just an experiment, but he played there again Saturday and looked pretty good. TO be honest, if you'd have told me he was going to play wide last year, I'd have laughed and said you were nuts. Vandergriffe is a nice addition to the Bills also. Roeckle looks to be a future star, so far he's looked strong defensively and has a nice service out of the back. He's also taking corners.

I would say the most surprising player to me was Benny Estes. He's fast, has skills with the ball at his feet and really worked his ass off fighting to win balls. Briggs looks composed in the middle, but seems to occasionally have trouble making connections with his passes. Robson is a hard worker but really didn't impress in a negative or positive way. Sito also seems to have a nice feel for the game. The fact that AJ has been relegated to a subsitute role in both the defensive and midfield wings says alot.

My only gripe would be Holmes, he really just doesn't bring much to the game except speed. He has so little touch with the ball, I just don't get it. Get the ball out front and let him run it down and he's shown the ability to finish in his career, he's just not being used this way. I can't imagine he will start in front of Adnan for long. Adnan came in midway through the 2nd half and he is just so big and strong. He's fast and skilled with the ball. He has the ability to create problems for the defense every time he touches the ball. He's a little like Vedad though as once he gets the ball, he's going forward. When/if he learns to see the field around him better, he'll create even more problems.

All in all I think the Bills played a nice game. There were a few instnaces where the Bills showed the ability to attack with quick short passes in tight spaces. It was a type of game, I've rarely seen from the Bills. They use a nice mix of possession soccer looking to move forward with the ball on the ground mixed in with the occasional long ball to keep the defense honest. As this team gains experience they are going to be very good.

Here is the year of their starting 11.

Holmes - Sr but I would expect he'll be replaced by Adnan a freshman soon.

Sweetin - Soph

Estes - Soph

Briggs - Frosh

Robson - Soph

Sito - Frosh

Roeckle - Frosh

Dice - Sr

Vandergriffe - Jr

Brown - Soph

Shackelford - Frosh

2 Sr's, 1 Jr, 4 Sophs, 4 Frosh

I'm really looking forward to watching this team grow.

Thanks for the report. Good to hear Roeckle is showing better. He was definetly jittery the first game I saw him in.

I agree about Holmes and hope to see Adnan more. DId you notice if Roach was dressed or not? I hope he's simply injured and not out for the season.

You headed to the game on Friday?

Thanks for the report. Good to hear Roeckle is showing better. He was definetly jittery the first game I saw him in.

I agree about Holmes and hope to see Adnan more. DId you notice if Roach was dressed or not? I hope he's simply injured and not out for the season.

You headed to the game on Friday?

I'll be there Friday. Roach was not dressed, I was told by another fan at the last exhibition game that he would be out 4 more weeks from that point. I don't know how accurate the info was though.

I sat right behind the Bills bench and you can really hear McGinty. He's vocal and into the game. At one point when the ref called a ticky tack foul he told him, "this is a mans game" another time he told the linesman something along the line of "you can't just start making fouls up, the game counts" The linesman on that side was horrible, he missed 2 clear off sides on S. Florida. He was never alligned properly, the entire game. However, he did get the offsides call correct on our goal.

Here is the year of their starting 11.

Holmes - Sr but I would expect he'll be replaced by Adnan a freshman soon.

Sweetin - Soph

Estes - Soph

Briggs - Frosh

Robson - Soph

Sito - Frosh

Roeckle - Frosh

Dice - Sr

Vandergriffe - Jr

Brown - Soph

Shackelford - Frosh

2 Sr's, 1 Jr, 4 Sophs, 4 Frosh

I'm really looking forward to watching this team grow.

I don't know if McGinty has finalized the starting eleven. In the New Mexico game Maglasang and Bortolon started...Sito never played. Against USF Bortolon did not play. He seems to like Holmes as he is starting and playing lots of minutes. The back four appear to be set. The midfield and forward players could change from game to game. It's good that he has options.

I also thought this was the most vocal McGinty has been. Not only was he giving the refs an earful...he was constantly giving instructions to the players...mostly about positioning.

I don't know if McGinty has finalized the starting eleven. In the New Mexico game Maglasang and Bortolon started...Sito never played. Against USF Bortolon did not play. He seems to like Holmes as he is starting and playing lots of minutes. The back four appear to be set. The midfield and forward players could change from game to game. It's good that he has options.

I also thought this was the most vocal McGinty has been. Not only was he giving the refs an earful...he was constantly giving instructions to the players...mostly about positioning.

I've noticed the same thing. It seems as if he's still feeling out what he's got. Imo that's a good thing, as this team is so young, and the out of conference is pretty tough. Conference play is what will count this year. Win the A10 and then go from there.