OT: No Big 12 Expansion

For what it's worth the Big 12 saying no to exapnsion at this time, and if they do at some point it will be beyond the current geographic footprint (no TCU, Houston, Rice, Tulsa, etc.).

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/06/20/10...amp;feedID=3742

While the conference loses it's championship football game, each team will now get a bigger slice of the pie (cut 10 ways vs. 12).

Even though it's been a hot topic, 16-teams leagues may be too big to make any financial sense. IMO unless you have the perfect lineup, 16 goes past the point of diminishing returns in most cases.

Things can and will change down the road, but this might mean that the dust has settled for the next couple of years.

For what it's worth the Big 12 saying no to exapnsion at this time, and if they do at some point it will be beyond the current geographic footprint (no TCU, Houston, Rice, Tulsa, etc.).

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/06/20/10...amp;feedID=3742

While the conference loses it's championship football game, each team will now get a bigger slice of the pie (cut 10 ways vs. 12).

Even though it's been a hot topic, 16-teams leagues may be too big to make any financial sense. IMO unless you have the perfect lineup, 16 goes past the point of diminishing returns in most cases.

Things can and will change down the road, but this might mean that the dust has settled for the next couple of years.

Personally, I am NOT a fan of large conferences. IMO, 12 is too many. 16 would be even worse. 14 (A10) is also not good. In short, our country is just too vast (problems relating to travel, time zone, climate, regional fan interest) for there to be four (4) BCS conferences of 16 teams each. 16 is just too many teams with so few games/weekends available.

Curious to see and watch if/how conferences will downsize. To date, we have seen conferences go from 8 to 12 (Big XII), from 10 to 11 and then 12 (Big 10) and from 10 to 12 (PAC 10), etc. Yes, the Big XII just downsized from 12 to 10 but that was from voluntary defections. If the Big 10 or Big East could add ND (football), they'd do it immediately. Wonder if the Big 10 would ask some to leave to just keep growing.

Personally, I am NOT a fan of large conferences. IMO, 12 is too many. 16 would be even worse. 14 (A10) is also not good. In short, our country is just too vast (problems relating to travel, time zone, climate, regional fan interest) for there to be four (4) BCS conferences of 16 teams each. 16 is just too many teams with so few games/weekends available.

Curious to see and watch if/how conferences will downsize. To date, we have seen conferences go from 8 to 12 (Big XII), from 10 to 11 and then 12 (Big 10) and from 10 to 12 (PAC 10), etc. Yes, the Big XII just downsized from 12 to 10 but that was from voluntary defections. If the Big 10 or Big East could add ND (football), they'd do it immediately. Wonder if the Big 10 would ask some to leave to just keep growing.

You bring up a very good point. Rather than expanding to 16 teams, some conferences might start to prune the dead wood football programs. The Big 10 doesn't need Indiana football, especially if they land ND. The SEC could do without Vandy, Big 12 Iowa State, etc. IMO, 10 is a very good number for a conference.

Even before reworking the TV contract, the Big 12 was claiming that it would have only lost 8-10% of its TV money by shedding 16.7% of its teams. More money to go around.

You bring up a very good point. Rather than expanding to 16 teams, some conferences might start to prune the dead wood football programs. The Big 10 doesn't need Indiana football, especially if they land ND. The SEC could do without Vandy, Big 12 Iowa State, etc. IMO, 10 is a very good number for a conference.

Even before reworking the TV contract, the Big 12 was claiming that it would have only lost 8-10% of its TV money by shedding 16.7% of its teams. More money to go around.

Don't forget that Purdue is also located in Indiana.

Also, conferences must now maneuver to still keep BCS qualification/NCAA Tourney automatic bids while now also avoiding conference withdrawal penalities/fees. Getting bigger seems easier than getting smaller.

Don't forget that Purdue is also located in Indiana.

Also, conferences must now maneuver to still keep BCS qualification/NCAA Tourney automatic bids while now also avoiding conference withdrawal penalities/fees. Getting bigger seems easier than getting smaller.

Purdue has a much better football history than Indiana.

Getting bigger is easier, but if you already have a BCS tie-in and an NCAA automatic bid you might not get more money per school by expanding from 12 (or 10) to 16.

this issue of downsizing came up when penn state was in the process of joining the B10. there was talk of NW leaving. it turned out to be all talk. the simple answer at that time was NO, no school would be asked to leave. i'm not saying that couldn't change, but i seriously doubt the B10 asks any school in the "brotherhood" to leave. the schools are bonded in many more ways than just sports. psu was probably more of a step brother for many years and it is open to debate if they are a full fledged "brother".

this issue of downsizing came up when penn state was in the process of joining the B10. there was talk of NW leaving. it turned out to be all talk. the simple answer at that time was NO, no school would be asked to leave. i'm not saying that couldn't change, but i seriously doubt the B10 asks any school in the "brotherhood" to leave. the schools are bonded in many more ways than just sports. psu was probably more of a step brother for many years and it is open to debate if they are a full fledged "brother".

Agreed. I presume the only real way to downsize (w/o the lawsuits, unpredictability and having to go on record to kick out your "brother" school is to disolve the conference and form a new one. The Big 10 had to go forward to get team #12 (and got a good football school) but I'd still suggest that Mizzou is a better fit. Now, they are stable. Adding ND is possible but then the league would need to add 1 to 3 more schools and I am not so sure that will be work well over the long-haul. It's easy to say "get rid of NW, or Indiana, etc." but harder to do.

Agreed. I presume the only real way to downsize (w/o the lawsuits, unpredictability and having to go on record to kick out your "brother" school is to disolve the conference and form a new one. The Big 10 had to go forward to get team #12 (and got a good football school) but I'd still suggest that Mizzou is a better fit. Now, they are stable. Adding ND is possible but then the league would need to add 1 to 3 more schools and I am not so sure that will be work well over the long-haul. It's easy to say "get rid of NW, or Indiana, etc." but harder to do.

How did the Big East go about getting rid of Temple? The Mountain West was formed when several memebers of the WAC bolted.

It certainly isn't easy to dump schools from a conference and I don't know how likely it really is, but money ultimately talks.

BTW, I don't know if the Big 10 would really "need" to add 1-3 more teams if ND joined. They could simply have 13 and go unbalanced.

How did the Big East go about getting rid of Temple? The Mountain West was formed when several memebers of the WAC bolted.

It certainly isn't easy to dump schools from a conference and I don't know how likely it really is, but money ultimately talks.

BTW, I don't know if the Big 10 would really "need" to add 1-3 more teams if ND joined. They could simply have 13 and go unbalanced.

When Temple was admitted as a football member they had only so many years to reach certian goals (attendance, funding, etc.) before they would be expelled if not met. They didn't meet those goals.

When Temple was admitted as a football member they had only so many years to reach certian goals (attendance, funding, etc.) before they would be expelled if not met. They didn't meet those goals.

Thanks. The BE may want to reconsider them at this point. They seem to have some good momentum these days.