Lutz out at Charlotte

davidlee

I was at the game vs. Charlotte when Lutz was coaching barefoot. Had something to do with fund raising for the Haiti earthquake. Lutz is a good citizen, good PR guy who loves his Niners, being an alum. He's from the area, and has coached at small colleges in the Charlotte area prior to his 12 years there.

It's a nearly impossible situation there. Little buzz in Charlotte for the home team, poor crowds, dominated by the ACC, especially UNC, which is huge in Charlotte. Charlotte has more UNC grads living there than any city anywhere. Feel sorry for the guy. 8 games ago they're ready to bust into the Top25, and now he's unemployed.

I was also at that game. One of the things I liked about Lutz was that after the game he came out and thanked the students for all the support. Also had some very kind statements about A10 & SLU saying this being no easy game.

Lutz, I would think should end up in some lower level D1 program. He had a pretty good run in the CUSA.

The A10, like with us, has not been easy on Charlotte. The fans I sat around this time and 2 years ago are having a hard time getting excited playing St Bona, Fordham or, as one fan who sat in front of me, all these small Catholic schools from the northeast.

One other coaching loss, I see Courtside's buddy, Deane, is out at Wagner.

Pretty strong comments from Charlotte:

The firing of Lutz wasn't only made in the athletic department. Chancellor Philip Dubois was also involved.

"The record in the last five years since I've been here - we've gone to the NIT twice, but we've not gone three times and that by definition says you're out of the top 97 teams in the country and maybe even more than that," said Dubois. "For the investment we've made in athletics and the investment specifically in basketball we have to be better than the top third."

AND

Athletic Director Judy Rose pointed out that it's been five years since the 49ers last made the NCAA Tournament.

"We haven't been to the NCAA tournament since 04-05. That's a pretty long dry spell. When you'd look before we were going fairly regularly," said Rose. "Now, do I expect us to go to the NCAA tournament every year? No. I'd love for that to happen, but that's not the level of expectation. But it is the level of expectation that we get there on somewhat of a regular basis."

That dry spell coincided with the 49ers leaving Conference USA for the stronger Atlantic 10 conference. Before then, Lutz led Charlotte to the NCAA Tournament five times in seven years.

AND

It's not a total loss for Lutz. He still has four years left on his contract. The university owes him $948,000 unless he finds another college coaching job during that time.

http://www.wfae.org/wfae/1_87_316.cfm?acti...lay&id=5944

I was at the game vs. Charlotte when Lutz was coaching barefoot. Had something to do with fund raising for the Haiti earthquake. Lutz is a good citizen, good PR guy who loves his Niners, being an alum. He's from the area, and has coached at small colleges in the Charlotte area prior to his 12 years there.

It's a nearly impossible situation there. Little buzz in Charlotte for the home team, poor crowds, dominated by the ACC, especially UNC, which is huge in Charlotte. Charlotte has more UNC grads living there than any city anywhere. Feel sorry for the guy. 8 games ago they're ready to bust into the Top25, and now he's unemployed.

I know. Was joking around :o