OT: Frinnell College - the system

billiken_roy

Grinnell College is featured in a Basketball Times (best basketball magazine in the world) article this month. The article is about their offensive system that scores more than any program in the country.

full court press, three pointers flying like crazy, waves of substitutions constantly. very intriguing. i dont know if i call it basketball in it's purest sense. but interesting none the less.

basketball times is not online, but here is a utube video and another story about "the system".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/127759-...tem-at-grinnell

Didn't Fontbonne play a similar style for the past few years?

Not really. They play an up and down style, but nothing close to this. I believe MacMurray College tried this a few years back (another SLIAC team). They did it about two years or so before the coach left (I think).

My cousin played soccer at Grinnell in the late 90s and walked on the basketball team. He's the same age as me and I went up there on break for a couple years and worked out with the team. Very intense, closest I got to playing high level sports. My cousin scored 32 in a game once and was the 3rd leading scorer. It is unreal. It is like Hank Gather's Loyola Marymount teams times 10.

Just as an aside I'm 6'3 on a good day and had to play balls to the wall just to make my HS basketball team. My cousin is 6'8 250, could shoot the 3, jump through the roof and fast enough that he was a decent HS soccer midfielder. He was offered a scholarship to play ball from among others Virginia, Virgina Tech, Dayton, and Miami. He chose to play soccer at Grinnell. He even gave up playing basketball there to focus more on soccer. It still kills me to this day.

My cousin played soccer at Grinnell in the late 90s and walked on the basketball team. He's the same age as me and I went up there on break for a couple years and worked out with the team. Very intense, closest I got to playing high level sports. My cousin scored 32 in a game once and was the 3rd leading scorer. It is unreal. It is like Hank Gather's Loyola Marymount teams times 10.

Just as an aside I'm 6'3 on a good day and had to play balls to the wall just to make my HS basketball team. My cousin is 6'8 250, could shoot the 3, jump through the roof and fast enough that he was a decent HS soccer midfielder. He was offered a scholarship to play ball from among others Virginia, Virgina Tech, Dayton, and Miami. He chose to play soccer at Grinnell. He even gave up playing basketball there to focus more on soccer. It still kills me to this day.

I have seen Grinnell play a number of times in person....the reality is that they get ridiculous stats against teams that are not disciplined enough to make them pay for not playing defense.

I have seen them lose several times and the score is usually in the 80's. The good teams get back on defense, don't give up any offense rebounds and make all of the easy shots. They also run offense for 25 seconds, which drives Grinnell (and their egomaniac coach) crazy.

http://www.grinnell.edu/athletics/mbasketb...scheduleresults