OT ncaa tourney spots

billiken_roy

looking at the rpi this morning, the ncaa tourney selection committee isnt going to get to argue much about bubble teams it appears to me.

if you use a 40 rpi or better as a cut off for discussion sakes, 18 conferences do not have a worthy at large team.

so 18 spots gone right there.

5 conferences (cusa-memphis, wac-utah state, horizon-butler, maa-sienna, west coast- gonzaga) have only one team.

8 conferences with multiple teams which total 35 spots.

ACC- 5 (Duke, UNC, Clemson, Wake, Florida State)

Big Ten - 6 (Mich St, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio State)

Big East - 7 (Pitt, UConn, Villanova, L'ville, W Virginia, Syracuse, Marquette)

Big 12 - 6 (Oklahoma, Kansas, Mi$$ouri, OK State, Tx A&M, Texas)

Pac 10 - 4 (Washington, Arizona State, Cal, UCLA)

SEC - 3 (Tennessee, SouthCarolina, LSU)

Mountain West - 2 (Brigham Young, Utah)

A-10 - 2 (Xaiver, Dayton)

right there are 58 of the 65 teams thus only leaving 7 teams for conference tourney champion upset winners and "bubble teams".

assuming no tourney upsets the next seven teams would be florida, uab, creighton, miami, temple, michigan and georgetown.

might be the most lopsided the bcs has ever dominated the potential total field of teams. i hope that uab, creighton and temple step it up the rest of the way to get more non bcs teams in a better position. plus dayton and gonzaga need to maintain.

looking at the rpi this morning, the ncaa tourney selection committee isnt going to get to argue much about bubble teams it appears to me.

if you use a 40 rpi or better as a cut off for discussion sakes, 18 conferences do not have a worthy at large team.

so 18 spots gone right there.

5 conferences (cusa-memphis, wac-utah state, horizon-butler, maa-sienna, west coast- gonzaga) have only one team.

8 conferences with multiple teams which total 35 spots.

ACC- 5 (Duke, UNC, Clemson, Wake, Florida State)

Big Ten - 6 (Mich St, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio State)

Big East - 7 (Pitt, UConn, Villanova, L'ville, W Virginia, Syracuse, Marquette)

Big 12 - 6 (Oklahoma, Kansas, Mi$$ouri, OK State, Tx A&M, Texas)

Pac 10 - 4 (Washington, Arizona State, Cal, UCLA)

SEC - 3 (Tennessee, SouthCarolina, LSU)

Mountain West - 2 (Brigham Young, Utah)

A-10 - 2 (Xaiver, Dayton)

right there are 58 of the 65 teams thus only leaving 7 teams for conference tourney champion upset winners and "bubble teams".

assuming no tourney upsets the next seven teams would be florida, uab, creighton, miami, temple, michigan and georgetown.

might be the most lopsided the bcs has ever dominated the potential total field of teams. i hope that uab, creighton and temple step it up the rest of the way to get more non bcs teams in a better position. plus dayton and gonzaga need to maintain.

I don't think the Big 12 gets six. I just can't see A&M getting in with an under or just at .500 conference record in a down Big 12.

you dont think they will beat colorado and iowa state the last two games? plus their game with mi$$ouri is in texas and will likely be a super bowl like game for A&M.

i agree if they lose two of the three and dont get to the big 12 semi's they will be out. but then if they do that they will likely also fall out of the top 40 rpi as well for that to happen as they will have at least 2 losses in that stretch to at least two of the big 12 lessers.

they are basically in the same boat as dayton. they cant afford to lose, but if the season ended last night, i think they would be in right this second.

this is why the last few weeks of the season are fun to watch play out. bracketology every day changes.