Post-game observations

GoBills

He really is. This is my first post and really my first time looking around on this board but I am a SLU grad student and went here for undergrad too. I am from Cincinnati and actually a huge Xavier fan but also a big Bills fan (as long as they arent playing Xavier) but let me tell you do I wish we had Mitchell on our team. Xavier only has one true point right now in Holloway who after being really good at the beginning of the year has hit a rough patch. We could really use a Mitchell right now. I am looking forward to seeing these two matchup against each other for the next 3 years but it looks like Mitchell has the edge on Holoway right now. He is having big game after big game.

No offense but just curious how you became a big X fan with the Bearcats in town. More importantly how can you root for X against your school?

No offense but just curious how you became a big X fan with the Bearcats in town. More importantly how can you root for X against your school?

With regards to the Bearcats I hate them. Have always hated them. Bob Huggins is a slimeball and he recruited criminals. My family was big XU supporters my, grandpa went there and played football there so thats how I became a XU fan and thank god I did because they have passed UC as a program and wont look back anytime soon.

I figured someone would ask about how I cant still root for XU over SLU. Its like this, I have been a HUGE XU basketball fan my entire life and then all of a sudden I come to SLU a school I have no prior affiliation with and I am supposed to drop XU in favor of them? That is too hard to do but I have become a big SLU basketball fan. I have season tickets and go to every game possible even though I have missed the last couple because of tests I had to study for. Also my freshman year SLU wasnt even in the A10 so it wasnt even an issue until my sophomore year when they moved to the A10. But dropping a lifelong commitment to supporting XU wasnt something I could do.

With regards to the Bearcats I hate them. Have always hated them. Bob Huggins is a slimeball and he recruited criminals. My family was big XU supporters my, grandpa went there and played football there so thats how I became a XU fan and thank god I did because they have passed UC as a program and wont look back anytime soon.

I figured someone would ask about how I cant still root for XU over SLU. Its like this, I have been a HUGE XU basketball fan my entire life and then all of a sudden I come to SLU a school I have no prior affiliation with and I am supposed to drop XU in favor of them? That is too hard to do but I have become a big SLU basketball fan. I have season tickets and go to every game possible even though I have missed the last couple because of tests I had to study for. Also my freshman year SLU wasnt even in the A10 so it wasnt even an issue until my sophomore year when they moved to the A10. But dropping a lifelong commitment to supporting XU wasnt something I could do.

Great answer. I agree with the Cinci situation. My best friend went to school there and he even couldnt stand it. He was even an athlete when Huggins was still there.

I can see your loyalties. I grew up in Miami and cosider myself a huge Canes fan (even though they have gone through similar situations to Cinci in the AD) but if SLU were to ever play them I would go SLU.

Sorry to make you defend yourself but great to here you are a season ticket holder.

Great answer. I agree with the Cinci situation. My best friend went to school there and he even couldnt stand it. He was even an athlete when Huggins was still there.

I can see your loyalties. I grew up in Miami and cosider myself a huge Canes fan (even though they have gone through similar situations to Cinci in the AD) but if SLU were to ever play them I would go SLU.

Sorry to make you defend yourself but great to here you are a season ticket holder.

Oh no problem. And I was telling a buddy today that if SLU manages to get on a hot streak in the conference tourney and they got to the conference championship and it was against Xavier I wouldnt outwardly root against Xavier but I would be happy if SLU won since XU is already in the tourney.

On a side note Xavier's guard play is downright awful right now and they looked horrible tonight in a loss @ Charlotte. If they dont get things turned around they could go from looking like they were a 3 seed not too long ago to a 7 seed easily.

You are in the exact same boat as my girlfriend. She's from Cincinnati, parents are Xavier alums and long-time season ticket holders, been a solid Xavier fan since she first knew what basketball was. Then she went to SLU and never switched loyalties, but roots for them when they aren't playing XU. Now I'm here in Cincinnati while she goes to UC law school and I'm a SLU fan going to Xavier games regularly, and I probably cheer for Xavier in the way you do for SLU, as sort of a second team.

I share your opinion about Huggins but have a hard time hating UC now because Mick Cronin is a stand-up guy who has gotten the classroom issues in order before he started recruiting, and now he's starting to land some top-notch recruits and commits.

Rough game at Charlotte last night. I'm not sure what's happened to XU on the road lately. They don't look like the same team away from home. Holloway went from looking like a senior early in the season to looking like a freshman down the stretch. He's forgotten how to handle the ball and looks jittery in everything he does. I'm not sure if Miller publicly dogging him helps or hurts.

Welcome to the board.

You are in the exact same boat as my girlfriend. She's from Cincinnati, parents are Xavier alums and long-time season ticket holders, been a solid Xavier fan since she first knew what basketball was. Then she went to SLU and never switched loyalties, but roots for them when they aren't playing XU. Now I'm here in Cincinnati while she goes to UC law school and I'm a SLU fan going to Xavier games regularly, and I probably cheer for Xavier in the way you do for SLU, as sort of a second team.

I share your opinion about Huggins but have a hard time hating UC now because Mick Cronin is a stand-up guy who has gotten the classroom issues in order before he started recruiting, and now he's starting to land some top-notch recruits and commits.

Rough game at Charlotte last night. I'm not sure what's happened to XU on the road lately. They don't look like the same team away from home. Holloway went from looking like a senior early in the season to looking like a freshman down the stretch. He's forgotten how to handle the ball and looks jittery in everything he does. I'm not sure if Miller publicly dogging him helps or hurts.

Welcome to the board.

Question for X fans.... whatever happened to Soto ( spelling?) and Chambers? They were awesome players.

Question for X fans.... whatever happened to Soto ( spelling?) and Chambers? They were awesome players.

Romain Sato was drafted by the Spurs but never caught on in the league. He's playing in Italy for Montepaschi Siena, one of the top teams there.

Lionel Chalmers was drafted by the Clippers the same year (2004) and played a little with them and the Timberwolves. He's been playing in Europe since 2006- first in Greece, then Spain, and now Italy for Benetton Triviso, a league rival of Sato's team.

Romain Sato was drafted by the Spurs but never caught on in the league. He's playing in Italy for Montepaschi Siena, one of the top teams there.

Lionel Chalmers was drafted by the Clippers the same year (2004) and played a little with them and the Timberwolves. He's been playing in Europe since 2006- first in Greece, then Spain, and now Italy for Benetton Triviso, a league rival of Sato's team.

Thanks! You going to the game tomorrow Pistol?

Welcome to the board.

Funny you mention Cronin because a lot of Xavier fans have felt the same way that ever since Huggins left the rivalry has kind of died down a somewhat but Cronin fixed that last week with making the comment about how the Big East is SO good and how could Joe Lunardi only have 7 teams in his mock bracket etc. He then went on to say Syracuse would easily win the A10. I post a lot on the Xavier message boasrd and we had a field day with that one.

Is there anything worse than hearing coaches whine about the tournament. Win your games Mick and you will get in. Boeheim is even worse. Maybe if he didnt schedule Little Sisters of the poor in the OOC his team would get more respect. Does anyone ever hear Coach K or Roy Williams complaining about how hard the ACC is? The ACC IS a better league than the Big East this year. Big East coaches are so annoying.

Funny you mention Cronin because a lot of Xavier fans have felt the same way that ever since Huggins left the rivalry has kind of died down a somewhat but Cronin fixed that last week with making the comment about how the Big East is SO good and how could Joe Lunardi only have 7 teams in his mock bracket etc. He then went on to say Syracuse would easily win the A10. I post a lot on the Xavier message boasrd and we had a field day with that one.

Is there anything worse than hearing coaches whine about the tournament. Win your games Mick and you will get in. Boeheim is even worse. Maybe if he didnt schedule Little Sisters of the poor in the OOC his team would get more respect. Does anyone ever hear Coach K or Roy Williams complaining about how hard the ACC is? The ACC IS a better league than the Big East this year. Big East coaches are so annoying.

I'd rather have Cronin get the rivalry fired back up with words than with dirty recruiting, ignorance of academics, off-court problems, and a lack of respect for his institution and the NCAA, as his predecessor did. But I also see where you're coming from, I don't like coaches whining about their conference being too hard. Coach K actually did say earlier this year that the ACC was way better than the Big East and deserves more credit with bids and seeds- which I thought was pretty annoying, no matter which conference is actually better.

I personally think the Big East is stronger top to bottom and the ACC is stronger at the top.

I also have no respect for weak non-conference scheduling and was pretty disappointed with ours this year. I think what Miller and Xavier put together in the non-conference schedule was almost perfect- a lot of solid games at home and on the road, a good early season tournament, and an SEC road game in the middle of the conference season. My only complaint is that they didn't get a marquee non-conference opponent at home from a BCS conference; Butler was the closest thing to a marquee game.

Playing weak schedules and all home games doesn't make you any better in March, no matter how many wins you wind up with. Dayton is going to find that out pretty soon.

I'd rather have Cronin get the rivalry fired back up with words than with dirty recruiting, ignorance of academics, off-court problems, and a lack of respect for his institution and the NCAA, as his predecessor did. But I also see where you're coming from, I don't like coaches whining about their conference being too hard. Coach K actually did say earlier this year that the ACC was way better than the Big East and deserves more credit with bids and seeds- which I thought was pretty annoying, no matter which conference is actually better.

I personally think the Big East is stronger top to bottom and the ACC is stronger at the top.

I also have no respect for weak non-conference scheduling and was pretty disappointed with ours this year. I think what Miller and Xavier put together in the non-conference schedule was almost perfect- a lot of solid games at home and on the road, a good early season tournament, and an SEC road game in the middle of the conference season. My only complaint is that they didn't get a marquee non-conference opponent at home from a BCS conference; Butler was the closest thing to a marquee game.

Playing weak schedules and all home games doesn't make you any better in March, no matter how many wins you wind up with. Dayton is going to find that out pretty soon.

I think those are good points you bring up...But, does playing difficult teams during non-conference make you better? Especially with a relatively young team? Look at a team like Arkansas, who went I think 14-1 during a pretty difficult non-conference schedule and bombed when they hit a weak SEC conference schedule. They are young and maybe it went to their head some. Maybe they were worn out. I don't know what happened, but it wasn't good. Do I wish we would have had a marquee game this year ( SLU), yes, like we did a few years ago (Arizona, etc...) But with our youung team, I would rather have the results we have now and record now, with our freshmen really stepping up, than be another Arkansas and 1 for 10 or something in conference.

I think those are good points you bring up...But, does playing difficult teams during non-conference make you better? Especially with a relatively young team? Look at a team like Arkansas, who went I think 14-1 during a pretty difficult non-conference schedule and bombed when they hit a weak SEC conference schedule. They are young and maybe it went to their head some. Maybe they were worn out. I don't know what happened, but it wasn't good. Do I wish we would have had a marquee game this year ( SLU), yes, like we did a few years ago (Arizona, etc...) But with our youung team, I would rather have the results we have now and record now, with our freshmen really stepping up, than be another Arkansas and 1 for 10 or something in conference.

That's a good point, scheduling specifically for your team. Majerus said all along that we were going to play a soft schedule this year based on our youth. I'd still like to see a considerable step up next year, even if we're technically even younger. I wasn't suggesting that SLU should have played an all-BCS non-conference schedule this year and battered our freshmen; they struggled enough against some bad teams. There just needs to be some real challenges and some big names (which also helps draw more fans). Everyone's going to have a few cupcakes each year, fine, but when they outnumber decent games I don't like that. One thing I liked about our schedule is that we went on the road a decent amount to start the season even if we took our licks. Some teams only play a couple neutral games and maybe 1 or 2 actual road games before the conference season.

A lot of it also has to do with the coach- what does he want his guys to take from each game? Could he teach them more and keep their heads up if they were getting pounded by great teams every week, or is he more comfortable beating weaker teams to build their confidence and work out the kinks? Coaches need to find that balance during scheduling and during the season and I give Rick credit for doing what he says he's going to do.

That's a good point, scheduling specifically for your team. Majerus said all along that we were going to play a soft schedule this year based on our youth. I'd still like to see a considerable step up next year, even if we're technically even younger. I wasn't suggesting that SLU should have played an all-BCS non-conference schedule this year and battered our freshmen; they struggled enough against some bad teams. There just needs to be some real challenges and some big names (which also helps draw more fans). Everyone's going to have a few cupcakes each year, fine, but when they outnumber decent games I don't like that. One thing I liked about our schedule is that we went on the road a decent amount to start the season even if we took our licks. Some teams only play a couple neutral games and maybe 1 or 2 actual road games before the conference season.

A lot of it also has to do with the coach- what does he want his guys to take from each game? Could he teach them more and keep their heads up if they were getting pounded by great teams every week, or is he more comfortable beating weaker teams to build their confidence and work out the kinks? Coaches need to find that balance during scheduling and during the season and I give Rick credit for doing what he says he's going to do.

Great points-- great minds think alike! And that's why you will never find SLU minds agreeing with youDEE or Mizloser minds..Sorry, I couldn't resist!