Little Bobby

kevinfootes

I don't think the enthusiasm is what annoyed some, it was that Lutz turned around and yelled at the crowd while very possibly pointing at them too.

If Brad did the same thing at the Bradley Center and Marquette came back to win, you'd see the same thing on either of the Marquette boards.

While I myself wasn't too upset about Lutz, I did find it to be poetic justice. If you watch the win over Louisville last year, Reece Gaines hit a three with two minutes remaining exactly on the the clock. You could see the Louisville players on the bench celebrating what they thought was a win. Then the Billikens began their comeback and pulled off the stunning victory. A couple years ago when SLU lost a close game to Mizzou in Columbia after leading for about 38 minutes of the game, Justin Tatum made a throat-slashing gesture after he dunked the ball to give SLU what seemed to be a solid lead they wouldn't blow. I remember reading Mizzou fans complain about the gesture and say how they enjoyed seeing Mizzou pull off the win, especially after that. Just poetic justice.

he turned around and yelled to his players, not the crowd. If he had pointed at the crowd that would be one thing, but he (and his players) all jumped up in excitement. You're reading into the whole thing WAY too much trying to create controversy out of nothing. Hell, I don't think Lutz could even see over the bench into the crowd....

Lutz is a class act. Did you see the game against L-ville where he was trying to keep fans off the floor and from rushing over the scorers table? A throat slashing gesture is one thing. In 1992 I saw members for the Fab Five grab their crotches and point at MSU fans. That is one thing, pumping your fist in the air when your team hits a 3 with the shot clock winding down is nothing but showing enthusiasm. If it is anything different than Brad's pumping his fist when beating Cincy at the Shoe last year was taunting Cincy fans, right?

Lutz was caught on tape, as Charlotte defeated SIU, pumping his fist in the air and yelling "up yours" to the crowd. Also, this was as the buzzer sounded and he and Coach Painter were about 10 feet apart and walking towards each other to shake hands.

That's not class. I don't care if fans are taunting you. The head coach needs to be above that kind of trashy behavior.