This can't be.....get in touch with Doug Elgin

brianstl

I have the exact opposite opinion. You want to be in the strongest conference possible.

so siu edwardsville, who just this past year have decided to move to division one, competitionwise, would want to be in the ACC if asked?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so siu edwardsville, who just this past year have decided to move to division one, competitionwise, would want to be in the ACC if asked?

Definitely. Look at USF. In ten years, they went from starting a 1-AA program to being ranked. Joining the BE really moved them up the pecking order. VT basketball program has improved significantly since joining the ACC. If you are committed to succeeding, stepping up is a good thing. Some schools have moved up to stronger conferences, but never made a commitment to improving so they continued to struggle. Lets look at USF again. They haven't put any money into their hoops team or their facilities. Hence, they have struggled.

Interesting that cheeseman is saying, RM wants us to get into a BCS league. Only way this is happening is if the BE splits up or somehow another league forms that could maybe rival the old CUSA. The BE is the case study, because it has BB only teams--no other BCS league has this type of membership. Could there be a midwest league formed in the BE style?

By the way I think most of this speculation is kind of pointless but since it is slow & I had time at work to think about this here is what I have come up with.

FB Schools

Memphis

Houston

Tulsa

UAB

S Miss

W Kentucky

Miami-OH

Ball St

BB Schools

SLU

Creighton

Bradley

Wichita St

SIU

MO St

Xavier

Dayton

I think the football side would be a little short still of BCS, but the basketball side would be powerful. Obviously there would be other teams in the MAC or CUSA you could swap out and same with BB only type schools. This is probably the kind of situation that SLU would have to be looking for to really upgrade our conference without the BE exploding. After the ugly turn CUSA took putting football ahead of BB, I am not sure SLU would get into this type of conference without some major pushing. Also not sure the MVC schools would really want to get into a league setup like this either. Just a thought.

Interesting that cheeseman is saying, RM wants us to get into a BCS league. Only way this is happening is if the BE splits up or somehow another league forms that could maybe rival the old CUSA. The BE is the case study, because it has BB only teams--no other BCS league has this type of membership. Could there be a midwest league formed in the BE style?

By the way I think most of this speculation is kind of pointless but since it is slow & I had time at work to think about this here is what I have come up with.

FB Schools

Memphis

Houston

Tulsa

UAB

S Miss

W Kentucky

Miami-OH

Ball St

BB Schools

SLU

Creighton

Bradley

Wichita St

SIU

MO St

Xavier

Dayton

I think the football side would be a little short still of BCS, but the basketball side would be powerful. Obviously there would be other teams in the MAC or CUSA you could swap out and same with BB only type schools. This is probably the kind of situation that SLU would have to be looking for to really upgrade our conference without the BE exploding. After the ugly turn CUSA took putting football ahead of BB, I am not sure SLU would get into this type of conference without some major pushing. Also not sure the MVC schools would really want to get into a league setup like this either. Just a thought.

I am not sure that what you have is what Rick was thinking - but who knows for sure. My interpretation is that he expects that some BB only teams from the BE would be willing under the right circumstances to leave. I could see a MU, DePaul and maybe a ND leaving for a new conf. if the competition and money were right. MU, DePaul, ND, X, SLU, Dayton, Memphis? if they could find a football alternative but that is really a long shot, Creighton, Butler could make up this conf. I could also see some of the other A10 schools being invited if need be - Charlotte for one. I really do not think that the MVC would break up or let anybody out very easily. It will be fun to watch.

I am not sure that what you have is what Rick was thinking - but who knows for sure. My interpretation is that he expects that some BB only teams from the BE would be willing under the right circumstances to leave. I could see a MU, DePaul and maybe a ND leaving for a new conf. if the competition and money were right. MU, DePaul, ND, X, SLU, Dayton, Memphis? if they could find a football alternative but that is really a long shot, Creighton, Butler could make up this conf. I could also see some of the other A10 schools being invited if need be - Charlotte for one. I really do not think that the MVC would break up or let anybody out very easily. It will be fun to watch.

By the way, yes I know Creighton is in the MVC that is why I said that CU is not a necessary for this to work. I realize that that you would still need one or two more teams and who those would be is anybody guess.

I guess I just don't see BB teams leaving the BE unless they are forced out. I think playing in the same league as UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville & Cincinnati is more important to them than joining a league with SLU, X & Dayton & others. Now if the BCS forces the BE to get to 10 or 12 FB teams to stay BCS, that is the only way I see the BE breaking up. Every school there seems to be making too much money to want to change things.

FB Schools

Memphis

Houston

Tulsa

UAB

S Miss

W Kentucky

Miami-OH

Ball St

BB Schools

SLU

Creighton

Bradley

Wichita St

SIU

MO St

Xavier

Dayton

I am not sure about Xavier or Dayton but SIU and MO St both have scholarship football programs. Pretty sure if SIU was going to leave the Valley or the Gateway it would only be for a conference that would allow them to participate in both. Seeing as all 1-AA football conferences gererally have nothing as far a basketball strength it is probably in the best interests of SIU and Mo St to maintain the status quo.

I am not sure about Xavier or Dayton but SIU and MO St both have scholarship football programs. Pretty sure if SIU was going to leave the Valley or the Gateway it would only be for a conference that would allow them to participate in both. Seeing as all 1-AA football conferences gererally have nothing as far a basketball strength it is probably in the best interests of SIU and Mo St to maintain the status quo.

That is exactly my point regarding the MVC and why I doubt it will break up. I do think a team would leave the BE if the money and competition was appropriate but I also agree with others who think the BE will eventually break up on their own and that is why a plan needs to start being put in place now since it takes years to get something like this going. Plant the seeds and when the right atmosphere is there people will be ready to jump.