unoffical vs offical visit

Quick question seeking clarity -

I am really pumped with the RM hire and all the recruiting hype he has generated so quickly. I am confused as to the diference between what constitutes an offical or unoffical visit in the eyes of the NCAA. These unoffical visists have been coming fast and furious. What is the difference?

http://www.billikenlore.com/BillikenGallerySmall.html

I'm sure there are tons of technical differences, but the main premise is that the recruit pays his own way for an unofficial and therefore can make as many as he wants, while the school pays for an official visit (to include travel, lodging, food, etc...) of which each recruit can only make one (to each school).

Mystery-man you are correct..

However you only get 5 official visits too, one recruit gets only 5 offical visits. Each school has to do some paperwork for each visit too. I think there is a limit on unofficial visists too.. but it is something like 7 in a calendar year too. -

That's why a lot of recruits that live near a school just do unofficial visits. They use the official visits for schools that are a little harder to get to from where they live.

Cg

That is correct. I believe each school is limited in the number of recruits it can bring in on official visits per calendar year as well. Therefore it works in both the school and the recruits favor to make it unofficial if the proximity allows. That being said, if we're fortunate enough to host student-athletes like Tyler Griffey, Scott Suggs, Jesse Perry, and Kwamain Mitchell on official visits as well as unofficials it will certainly bode well for the future of the program.