broy over at Bernie's pressbox

jjray

Thought it was a great post so hope Roy doesn't mind my taking a slice of it and putting on this board:

>>a young up and comer like martin while he might have the energy to make things happen, is a start over. and be honest, there is no way he will be given the time to learn on the job. considering he has zero head coaching experience, what are the chances he will not make a critical recruiting or coaching mistake? my guess is putting a young gun in that spot only is a set up to start over again about 2012.

however, put that same young high energy asst on the close right hand of a rick majerus puts that young man in position to take over a next level program 5 years from now when the program is more capable of running itself and majerus has already created new rules and budgets that will allow that next coach to succeed.<<

For those pushing for a hot young assistant, Roy has a solid answer: we can still do that but just not roll the dice now by bringing a hot young assistant into pick up the pieces from a troubled program. Let the young assistant be the annointed successor waiting in the wings at Majerus's side. Makes all the sense in the world but, again, it means more $$$s. Hope we buck up and join the big time.

>Thought it was a great post so hope Roy doesn't mind my

>taking a slice of it and putting on this board:

>

>

>For those pushing for a hot young assistant, Roy has a solid

>answer: we can still do that but just not roll the dice now

>by bringing a hot young assistant into pick up the pieces

>from a troubled program. Let the young assistant be the

>annointed successor waiting in the wings at Majerus's side.

>Makes all the sense in the world but, again, it means more

>$$$s. Hope we buck up and join the big time.

There is no way in hell a guy like Martin says "sure, I'll be your assistant and wait for you to leave on your terms regardless of how long that takes" especially when other programs will be banging down his door after every season. It's one thing for Matt Painter to wait 1 year, it's one thing for Tony Bennett, Sean Sutton, Pat Knight and Keno Davis to wait as they work for their fathers, but it's another to tell a guy on the brink of becoming a head coach somewhere to wait an indeterminate amount of time for his turn while bypassing other opportunities. A guy like Martin who has put in 7 years as an assistant is not going to do that. Even Jim Boylan, who was rumored to be Izzo's groomed successor at Michigan State, left for a head coaching job after 2 years there because the opportunity was there and Izzo isn't planning to shut it down anytime soon (whereas in the past circumstances were a little different).

Besides, what if in 5 years Majerus says "I'm not ready to go?" So we force him out?

The point still remains that a young assistant who is known for recruiting should be locked at the hip with RM and RM should acknowledge up front that the plan is to let this young kid learn the ropes and takeover in the future. Maybe that young kid isn't martin, maybe it's a bonner or perhaps someone else. But i think the central point is a good one. Go into this RM thing (if it even happens) with a plan for the post-RM days. And that plan is to let RM develop an assistant.

>>There is no way in hell a guy like Martin says "sure, I'll be your assistant and wait<<

Forget about C. Martin. He's irrelevant. Majerus has nationwide connections. We say we want high quality assistant to be groomed for HC and let him pick the guy. If we got Majerus, big IF, he'll have no problem landing a high quality experienced assistant who can be groomed.

law, of course you obviously never read the whole post only jjray's snipet.

i said earlier that martin was just the example. i couldnt careless who the hotshot assistant actually is.

that said, let's bet. you get purdue i get a majerus slu.

martin has to pick which head coach will leave first and give him the opportunity to be the next man.