Bilas critcizes Arkansas AD

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/03/...bperception.txt

“Generally, I’m not surprised anymore at the ridiculousness of hiring and firing by people, but some administrators understand what they’re doing and some don’t,†ESPN analyst Jay Bilas said Wednesday afternoon.

“Nothing really surprises me or shocks me anymore, but I do think Stan’s firing is indicative that Frank Broyles doesn’t have any idea what he’s doing.â€

“It doesn’t matter how it looks; it matters whether they know what they’re doing or not. And based upon the moves that they’ve made, they don’t,†Bilas said of Arkansas’ athletic officials.

“That’s just my opinion, I don’t expect other people to agree with that. But that was a mess when Stan Heath took it over, and listen, if you don’t feel like he’s a good enough coach, that’s fine.

“That’s their decision to make, but clearly with the way this has been handled and approached from the initial hiring until now, it’s not been skillfully or deftly handled.

“I think that’s a pretty clear conclusion to be drawn from this.â€

Bilas said he questions why Arkansas was willing to hire a young coach like Heath in the first place if the school wasn’t going to give him time to turn the program around.

Broyles is retiring at 82, roughly the average age of the Billiken fan base. We kid because we care.

He wanted Gillispie ...who wanted to wait til next week to make up his mind and a lot is crashing down on Arkansas.

BTW....it's interesting that the football team was a huge success under Broyles and Holtz in the 60's and 70's and not a lot since.

Only once in the past 9 years has Houston Nutt lost less than 4 games.

Their fans are in the unrealistic category .....they think they will be getting Bill Self or Tim Floyd as their next coach.