recruiting

reading some of the posts on her just makes me laugh. some of you are so critical of slu for its recruiting efforts, but you obviously have no idea what goes in to recruiting. you wonder why brad has been unable to seal the deal the way lowery has. yet if you look at the recruits lowery has brought in besides roundtree, they are nothing special. check their next two classes.

you wonder why we are going after mitchell, yet you criticize us for not having signed guys like tatum and darren brooks.

the same people criticizing us for not having signed harrelson will be the same people whining about the fact we signed adam knollmeyer.

you people need to find lives. you obviously know nothing about the recruiting game.

do you know how many "no's" each college basketball coach hears in a given year from a recruit before they get a "yes" from one. a lot, unless you are coach k.

you all need to be more patient and get a clue.

You're right, we know nothing about recruiting. But we do know about the product once it's put on display. When you see schools like Butler, SIU, VCU, X, etc. put winning teams with leapers, shooters, slashers, and tenacious defenders on the floor, it's only natural to ask, "hey, why can't we get players like that?" I know nothing about recruiting HS kids, it's not my specialty. But UB's supposed to and based on what we've seen in the pre and post recruitment of TL and KL, he's simply not getting it done. DP, DB, BH, Obi, HD to name a few who will never be solid D1 players. Who really knows why he can't land a Lasme, a Curtis Whithers? Only him. Some here would lay the blame on Fr. Biondi, which I think is a cop out. Again, if UB were worth his salt, he'd have pulled a Spoonhour on us and quit, "it's impossible to recruit given the administrative BS I deal with." He's not going to do this. Is it because he just loves SLU so much he doesn't want to leave us in the lurch? NO! It's because who else would hire him? There are many things that enter into the picture in recruiting. SI did a little blurb on it last year and what it most boiled down to was how the recruit expected he would get along with the coach and the staff. Yes, there are other factors that influence them, but the coach is most likely the primary factor. It's why the NCAA allows kids out of commitments if a coach leaves a school. Those kids didn't commit to a school, they commited to a man. Sadly, we don't seem to see many quality kids committing to our man, and that's why he'll most likely be out of a job in the next year or two. Again, your premise is correct, we don't know anything about recruiting, but we do no how to judge the recruiting job he's done. The proof is in his record.