Altman, Creighton & K-State

"Miss I don't have a clue" brought up a good example with Dana Altman. Altman had 3 pretty good years at KSU, including being named Big 8 COY in his 3rd season. During his 4th year the team fell back and Altman was canned. Many SLU fans would have been very impressed by this move. KSU has pretty much been horrible ever since and had to bring in Huggy 12 or 13 years later to pick up the pieces. Creighton, on the other hand, brought him in and gave him time to develop the program. Creighton has had a better program than KSU ever since (roy covered much of this earlier).

I'm no Brad fan, but if you can him you run the risk of losing KL, TL and others and actually being worse for at least 2 years. As long as the team continues to improve he keeps his job. If they don't improve next year I may have another opinion after the season.

Also, since Brad was the bet candidate last time, please tell me why you think SLU will get somebody better. And please, the new arena is not enough to bring Tubby Smith to SLU. Give me reasons besides the building. Also, please account for how a top coach will be attracted to a program with almost no TV.

Saying Brad was the best candidate last time is completely subjective. Brian Gregory has had better recruiting classes (including a top 50 guy coming in next year) and has a 3-1 record head to head against Brad. He has also had to deal with some really tough injuries

Gregory was a hot commodity being the top recruiter for Tom Izzo's Michigan St teams. There is no reason not to expect SLU to get another top flight assistant interested in the job especially with the new arena coming soon. I am sorry but the building is a factor.

Time will tell for Gregory, but his record doesn't indicate that the team is getting much better under his guidance. It's news to many people on here, but coahces are judged by Ws & Ls and not by what the recruiting "experts" believe. We'll see how his recruiting translates into wins.

or big name coach will come to SLU. That said, there are future good coaches out there. Every year a crop of Gillespies, Behliens, and Theuss' pop up. UB's will get 6, maybe even 7, years to get this program on track. Say we're still stuck in neutral after next year. Do we stay the course because we don't believe there is anyone better out there, which is wrong, or because if someone new comes in there are going to be growing pains, ie a bad year or two? If we do, UB becomes the men's version of Pizzoti. Patience is a virtue, and good things come to those who wait, but while we are waiting, it would be nice to at least see some baby steps being made toward getting better.

for the record soderberg and gregory also played games in each of the two seasons prior to slu joining the a-10. they split those two games.

this was the first year that gregory has won more games than he did the previous season.