Billikens in Alaska

Yours truly and family are back from vacation in Alaska.

We had numerous Billiken spottings, especially in antique and gift stores in Juneau, the State Capitol. What we have heard all these years is true- the Billiken is an Alaskan good luck charm. We saw Billiken carvings and little statues/trinkets for sale. We even had our picture taken in front of the Billiken Gift Shop in Juneau.

As for the Billiken allegedly being gender neutral or nongendered, we saw one piece that had a Billiken on one side (presumably the male) and a female on the other side- known as a Milliken! There you have it- perhaps the SLU women's teams should be known as the Millikens.

On another note, if you've never been to Alaska, we highly recommend it. It is an awe inspiring place.

Yours truly and family are back from vacation in Alaska.

We had numerous Billiken spottings, especially in antique and gift stores in Juneau, the State Capitol. What we have heard all these years is true- the Billiken is an Alaskan good luck charm. We saw Billiken carvings and little statues/trinkets for sale. We even had our picture taken in front of the Billiken Gift Shop in Juneau.

As for the Billiken allegedly being gender neutral or nongendered, we saw one piece that had a Billiken on one side (presumably the male) and a female on the other side- known as a Milliken! There you have it- perhaps the SLU women's teams should be known as the Millikens.

On another note, if you've never been to Alaska, we highly recommend it. It is an awe inspiring place.

Very cool!

My mom was in Alaska in June - apparently it was in the 80s there! - and brought me back a carved ivory Billiken charm.

I may have to start wearing it to the games for good luck!

Very cool!

My mom was in Alaska in June - apparently it was in the 80s there! - and brought me back a carved ivory Billiken charm.

I may have to start wearing it to the games for good luck!

I should add that several of the Billikens had tags with the explanation/definition, including what we have all heard- that if you rub the Billiken's tummy and tickle his toes, he will bring you good luck, etc.

We now have a couple of these little Billikens ourselves. Hopefully, they will bring us (and our SLU Billikens) good luck.

Bay Area glad your family had a good trip.

I have always thought the Billikens would make the perfect team to play in The Great Alaskan Shootout,but we never have.