Billikens.com - Server Upgrade and Donations

SluSignGuy

Billikens.com Users –

Tonight I upgraded the server capacity for Billikens.com. On Sunday, more people visited Billikens.com than had during any Majerus season. On Monday, we exceeded that total. The Billikids are growing up, and Billikens.com is growing too. I hope tonight's upgrade will handle us for the rest of this season. The next level of upgrade would require Billikens.com to be taken offline as I rebuild everything, which I may do this summer given the growth in traffic.

I have run Billikens.com as a hobby since I was thirteen. A great community exists here. It has changed over time, but it is a joy when people come up to me at games and talk about the site.

The community has also been very generous. Donations have covered all of Billikens.com’s expenses for the last seven years. With tonight’s and upcoming upgrades, I once again ask for donations to the site. You can donate online through PayPal or Credit Card by clicking here.

You can also donate by check. Please make checks out to Steve Rogers and mail them to

Steve Rogers

Apt. 303

10 Lawrence Dr.

Princeton, NJ 08540

If you put your email address on the memo of the check, I will email you upon receipt.

I want to emphasize that Billikens.com, even if I receive no donations, will remain online. It is too fun of a hobby to give up. So please do not feel any obligation to donate. I understand the economy is tight.

I will keep this thread stickied until March Madness is over or until enough funds are raised to cover anticipated costs for the next two seasons. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Steve Rogers

Webmaster of Billikens.com

Two additional notes.

1) If you want to donate by credit card, click the above link or click here. If you don't see where you can donate, scroll down, and look to left where it says: Don't have a PayPal account? Use your credit card or bank account (where available). Click continue there.

2) If anyone notices any technical problems, please let me know. I anticipate that the A-10 Tournament will bring a lot of traffic to the site, and I will be in Atlantic City. So I want to make sure the server can handle things before I go.

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve - Do you know if Paypal takes out their usual fees the way you have it set up? It is possible to "gift" the money where paypal will not charge any fees, just wanted to check if you were aware of this. I followed the link to donate and it wasn't clear whether of not the payments would be "gifted". I will send something in the morning once you have replied.

Two additional notes.

1) If you want to donate by credit card, click the above link or click here. If you don't see where you can donate, scroll down, and look to left where it says: Don't have a PayPal account? Use your credit card or bank account (where available). Click continue there.

2) If anyone notices any technical problems, please let me know. I anticipate that the A-10 Tournament will bring a lot of traffic to the site, and I will be in Atlantic City. So I want to make sure the server can handle things before I go.

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve - Do you know if Paypal takes out their usual fees the way you have it set up? It is possible to "gift" the money where paypal will not charge any fees, just wanted to check if you were aware of this. I followed the link to donate and it wasn't clear whether of not the payments would be "gifted". I will send something in the morning once you have replied.

I did not know this. I will investigate now on how to "gift" (unless you know how off the top of your head).

I did not know this. I will investigate now on how to "gift" (unless you know how off the top of your head).

Steps to Gift

Assuming you have a paypal account

1) login

2) click on send money tab

3) type in email address to which you are sending and the amount

4) switch from purchase tab to personal tab, select gift

5) press continue and finalize sending money

I believe fees are only waived if the money is coming from a bank account or paypal balance, I think they still charge fees if using a credit card, but I am not 100%

Steps to Gift

Assuming you have a paypal account

1) login

2) click on send money tab

3) type in email address to which you are sending and the amount

4) switch from purchase tab to personal tab, select gift

5) press continue and finalize sending money

I believe fees are only waived if the money is coming from a bank account or paypal balance, I think they still charge fees if using a credit card, but I am not 100%

Thanks for the gift! There was no fee.

I believe that there is no difference now between Gifts and other forms of receiving payments. There are no fees on transactions from PayPal accounts (linked to bank accounts). Source

In reading some forums, I am not allowed to solicit gifts, and they can potentially freeze my account. PayPal distinguishes between "Donations" and "Gifts" in their Terms of Service.. Therefore to keep things on the up and up. I will encourage people to use the link I provided. If you donate from your PayPal Account directly, there will be no fees. If you donate by credit card, there is a 2.9% + $.30 fee.

Apologies if this is confusing.

Some have suggested I do a running total of how donations are coming along. So I will try to update weekly.

We are at $145 total. My goal is $500 (We raised $625 last time, but some of that went to the Billikens.com Arena Brick).

Thanks to everyone who has donated!

Shame on me for not donating yet, since we talked about it like a day or two before you posted this. Now I think I'll wait until after our season ends so I can have a total # of wins to consider when figuring my donation #.