Borgia (Luke Meyer) at MICD on 1-6-04

I went to the game tonight and I thought Luke did okay. This was the first time I saw him play so I wasn't sure what to expect. He did score 29, with about 4 assists, a few rebounds and a couple blocked shots. MICDS is not the greatest team around, but they are well coached, so they kept the score close, with Borgia winning 51-46.

Luke was 1-6 from 3 pt. territory and plays hard on defense, which for tonight anyway, was a 1-2-2 trapping zone, and Luke was out on top even though he was the biggest guy on the court. He has great form on his jump shot and has a great touch. He was deadly from mid-range. Even his 3's were just off. He has James Caan's shoulders and looks physically mature.

My guess is that he is even better against tougher competition. Can't wait to see him in Billiken blue.

Anybody else that was there tonight agree? Disagree? Any other observations?

I hoped this helped.

I caught the game tonight at MICD as well. Both teams were well coached and both teams played within their systems. Outside of Luke Meyer, there was no college basketball talent on the floor. The Borgia team looked pretty young.

Meyer's was obviously the best player/athlete on the floor. Luke scored primary from mid-range and a few driving layups. Other Borgia players get their shots as well, it's not all Luke Meyer shooting/scoring. Meyer plays under control and looks for his teammates.

Seeing Luke Meyer tonight and watching him against top AAU teams is two different things. One really needs to see his faster paced AAU games to see Luke at his best. I don't think of Luke as a difference maker, but he will be a solid contributor, if he is as tough as I think he is.

It was neat to see Vashon's Dwayne Polk in the stands watching his future Billiken teammate.

I was at the Borgia game tonight as well. Luke had a great 3rd quarter but was just ho-hum the rest of the game. My unofficial stats had him with 15 of Borgia's 19 points in the third. Nearly all of those were mid-range jumpers. He was taken out of his rhythm with a couple bad calls for offensive fouls in the 1st half, otherwise he may have taken control earlier.

I am actually a Borgia alum and get to several of their games every year, so I have seen Luke play since his freshman year. It has been fun watching him progress. I think he has the potential for a solid career at SLU. I agree with an earlier post that he is probably not a difference maker. By that I mean I don't think he will ever be our "go to" guy on offense. But he will contribute on the offesive end and he plays solid defense. He is capable hitting alot of shots from 8-15 feet with a man in his face. He is also a solid FT shooter.

A couple weeks ago some posters were trying to compare Luke to current or former Billikens for likenesses. For my two cents, I compare him to a Chris Sloan with more offensive potential.

Someone also made the comment that there were no other D-1 players on the floor tonight other than Luke. I don't totally disagree, but keep an eye on Borgia's point guard, Mooseman. He is soph, started last year as well. He is only 5'10", so he will need to grow to get a chance somewhere. But is is very quick, makes very few mistakes and can knock down the 3 if you don't pay attention to him. He has been the 2nd leading scorer this season.

Finally, just want to say I have read the board for the last year or so and really enjoy reading everyone's comments.

I'll start by saying I left midway through the second quarter, in part because this game wasn't much of a game -- at least with the level of competition.

I don't think this game is a fair representation of what Luke Meyer is capable of. It looked like everyone else on the floor was playing in a junior varsity game. Luke kind of looked bored out there to me, because he didn't have much competition.

MICDS was without its starting point guard, who is the Rams second-best player behind Trevor Stone. Stone is a good shooter, but from what I saw he didn't play particularly well. He flopped and drew two early offensive fouls on Luke, but other than that he didn't do much. If he had some help around him, he would be a much more effective player. He'll contribute at Washington U. or a D-2 school somewhere.

Meyer took his game to another level against Chaminade a couple weeks ago. I think you'll have to wait until the playoffs to see what he can really do. I'm not sure, but I think Vashon and Borgia will meet each other in the playoffs.

- Nate

I can't argue with much that was posted. I missed Luke's first foul in the first quarter and saw the second (second looked legit). To me, he seemed to not get his rythem going until that third quarter. Seems like a player (in this game at least) that lets the game come to him. He didn't show me much til the 3rd quarter (due to fouls) but has a nice sweet shot and was handling the defense out top. The comparison to Sloan is accurate, similar body types but Luke seems to have a more deliberate shot (this is from one game of viewing). I don't see him as a difference maker right away, but definately a four-year guy who will contribute a lot jr and senior years.

I would also compare him to Chris Sloan...But maybe a better shooter, ballhandler, and passer...He might be stronger than Chris was as a freshman but is a bit shorter...I saw 2 of his games this year and he impresses me with ability to see the court, see chances for teammate easy baskets, and remain calm but fiesty at all times...He is a handsome chap and will have those SLU co-eds drooling.