UMass in the Bahamas

dewey33

As I have a good friend who is a big UMass fan, I follow the Minutemen (you are all welcome in Amherst Feb 24th!) and I have seen the scores. I think the games are actually being broadcast on radio in the Happy Valley--my guess the radio team just begged to be sent to the Bahamas.

I think the played 5 McGruffs (the crime dog) in costume the other night. I do not think any of the competition they have played is any better than going over to Boyden at noon and beating up on the staff/students there.

It is obviously a great vacation for the team and I have seen several pictures of the team having fun and bonding. It is also good for preseason conditioning. I definitely think these preseason games are good for having a bit of an edge in November and maybe December.

The only thing good in Amherst is going to Emily Dickinson's old house on Halloween night and watching the UMass goths screaming her poetry at her house in an attempt to make her ghost come out. They used to burn those people back in the 1600s...Salem isn't too far of a drive...I used to live in Worcester, so I've seen this first-hand. As far as Minutemen Hoops, they haven't been the same since my boy Edgar Padilla left. Or E-Pad as I like to call him.

My wife and I went to St. Thomas and as the refs treated Brad like a "skinhead" and Darren Clarke of UTEP fame vanished as a starter; we lost 2 of three and almost spoiled a wonderful

island experience and three nights of basketball-pre season. Hawaii is too far for the team to

go. It is a leg killer. I'd like to see us back in the paradise jam but Brad would have to hang out with the locals to get them warmed up. It set the tone for a tough zebra year for BS and

he was a heck of a lot more controlled this year and I'll bet with a better team the refs won't bother him so much. Two years ago we were a step short, a slow set up, and ugly shooters.

Let's hope 2006-2007 is a run and run team.