Billiken Offense 2003-2004

Billikan

As we approach the new season I believe that our team this year will be better offensively than it was last year even though we lost Perry.

My reasoning is as follows:

1. Our total guard scoring between Bryant, Drejaj, Fischer and Clarke will easily, collectively, make up for most of the points scored by Perry. I would suggest that their scoring averages-conservatively- will be as follows:

Bryant 14.0

Drejaj 8.0

Fischer 9.0

Clarke 5.0

Total= 36 ppg

This compares favorably to the total average of Perry, Fischer, Drejaj and Diener of last year 38 ppg.

2. Our inside scoring should improve with the development of IO, the consistancy of Sloan and the increase in the offensive skill of our inside players--particularly Fredricks, Zorba, JJ and Varner. Our seven foooter cannot be counted on this year.

We must remember that our "bigs last year had the following scoring averages:

Brown 6.9

Sloan 7.6

IO 4.9

Braun 3.4 (sad!)

Varner 1.6

Total= 20.5

I would suggest that Sloan and IO will score more than last year--I would think that IO could average 9-10 points per game.

My prediction of scoring averages--conservatively--for the bigs:

Fredricks 5.0

Sloan 9.0

IO 9.0

Zorba 4.0

Varner 3.0

JJ 4.0

Total 34.0

This means that this years team will score about 70 points per game vs. last years team that scored about 60 points per game. My conclusion is that we will be better on offense we will be more exciting to watch with better athletes and more depth.

This leads to the inescapable conclusion--If we want to beat talented teams we will have enough offense if our defense and rebounding are good enough to keep us in the games. We have 3 players who are tough, hardnosed defenders in Fischer, Drejaj, and Sloan.

Key questions:

1. Can Fredricks be a tough enough inside defender to replace KB who was terrific late last year agains wuality opponents?

2. Can IO improve defensively and use his athleticism to get rebounds over the rim?

3. Can one of the new inside big men give us a presence on defense and help in rebounding?

Bottom line--If our new unseasoned big men can hold their own on defense and on the boards we will have a very competitive team that could be fun to watch. Go Bills!

Just a few points in response:

It's Frericks, not Fredricks.

Who is Zorba? Is that some sort of nickname for Ian Vouyoukas?

The Billikens' primary scorers will be (in probable order) are Reggie Bryant, Izik Ohanon, Chris Sloan, and Josh Fisher. I expect the first three of those to be in double figures, with Fish somewhere between eight and ten points.

Rebounding will be a BIG question, and defense will be a considerable question. Brad Soderberg will make the players play defense, but I don't know if the talent and experience are there this year to equal or exceed the defensive prowess of last year's stalwart squad, especially in the lane.