Weighing in on the conf. realignment speculation

There has been no new news (that's redundant!). The report out of East Carolina isn't much different from what was reported in early August, and as far as I know, there haven't been any more meetings yet.

Look, they requested information on Cincinnati, Louisville, Marquette, and DePaul, but that doesn't mean they've extended invitations to any of those schools OR that those schools have accepted.

In other words, the Big East is looking at options, but they haven't asked Marquette and DePaul their feelings on the matter. I'm sure the Big East feels that schools will leap 14 feet in the air to join them, but that's just SELF-esteem. No negotiation has taken place. What if Marquette and DePaul express misgivings about playing in a conference that 1) is dominated by BCS considerations, 2) lacks a significant Midwest presence for basketball and olympic sports (i.e., poor balance between East and Midwest), and 3) leaves long-time partners Charlotte, Saint Louis, and Memphis (among others) in the cold? Really, what financial gain would Marquette get out of this far-flung, overwrought 16-team conference that would offset those things?

When (or if) Marquette and DePaul express those misgivings, the Big East will see that they're not so big after all and will have to negotiate, rather than dictate terms. In the meantime, the football/non-football balance falls apart and the two sides divorce. A 16-team conference WILL NOT WORK.

It might be a non-issue in the LONG run, but don't you think Fr. Biondi could persuade Marquette's president to BRING IT UP? If Marquette brings it up, with the suggestion that they'd be less likely to join the Big East without the other schools being considered, then the Big East would have to negotiate. Perhaps the Big East would be willing to call their bluff, but maybe not. Maybe in the process the other Big East schools would see benefits in having a Midwest Division (which would include SLU) and an Eastern Division. (All of this presumes a BE divorce over football, because I don't believe 16 teams will work and if they add just Cincy and Louisville, the non-football schools would balk.)

My point is, DON'T GIVE UP. This is the time to SELL. Salespeople who just throw up their hands don't make money.

Marquette and Depaul would have some misgivings, it is not ideal. Though if It were the Bills being offered a chance to be in the same conference as BC, Georgetown, Pitt, Cinci, Louisville, 'Cuse, U Conn, don't you think we would jump at that chance.??

However if the Big east is going to keep their conference together at all costs, I do not think the Bills fit into that equation. However, I can think of other eastern schools that would fit........St. Joe's, even Xavier and dayton are better situated for travel purposes.