Normandy Tournament, 1st round -- Dwayne Polk

No. 1 seed Vashon thoroughly crushed Cleveland NJROTC in the rirst round of the Normandy Tournament this evening. I watched future Billiken guard Dwayne Polk quite carefully. I believe he'll be a very good guard for the Billikens. Though he didn't shoot well from outside tonight (but I've seen him shoot well on another occasion), he demonstrated his quickness and ability to dominate with the ball in his hands. He had at least seven assists by my count, and he played little in the second half. He's a playmaker. For those lamenting Josh Fisher's not being a prototypical penetrating point guard, I say keep your heads up, because Polk is coming. I believe he'll be like Marque Perry, in that no one will be able to keep him out of the lane or prevent him from going where he wants to go with the ball, but he'll very willingly pass to open forwards and he'll knock down perimeter shots.

Having watched both Tommie Liddell and Polk play, I believe SLU has a future guard tandem that will be the best backcourt duo we've ever seen in St. Louis (but they may have a rough go of it next year as they spend their freshman season adjusting to Div. I ball). Neither is one-dimensional, and both can play either guard position.

Thanks for the encouraging words Thicks. I think that's exactly the kind of thing us Billiken faithfuls need to hear right now. I think everyone is excited to see those two suit up as Billikens next year (as well as Meyer). I hope you're right about them being the best guard duo ever in St. Louis. Maybe if Lisch joins them, they could be the best guard/small forward trio ever in St. Louis? :)

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer