Womens world cup

The USA just lost to Germany 3-0. It was 1-0 until the final 1:30 of stoppage time when Germany scored two goals as the USA was pushing everyone forward. Germany scored the first goal early about 15 -20 minutes in.

The USA thoroughly dominated the game but could not convert on too many opportunities. The German keeper had the best game I have ever seen a woman keeper have ... numerous brilliant saves.

The USA was not given two penalty kicks that they should have had. One for a hand ball in the box and another for a take down by the German keeper.

This was a game the USA should have won 3 or 4 - 1. No team can have 2 penalty kicks taken away in a game of this caliber and survive ... and they still nearly did.

Our ladies played with skill and heart and should walk away holding their heads high with pride

I am not a chick sport guy unless I have a personal vested interest in it...and then I give my full support of many different players...with that said...I did see the second half of that game...and have seen them play enough times to have an educated opinion.

1) WAY too many long balls, especially late...no possession in Germany third...but at USA end and at midfield fine. Rushed way too much too early, and didn't hold the ball well at all. Milbrett, Hamm, many mistakes.

2) I politely disagree about the goalie take down completely. The replay even showed it best. I thought the American announcers, JP, Tony D, were biased and rooting to the point where it interfered with their call of game. In that big of stage and moment late, I would not have called a PK...I really thought the refs let them play, and Germany was more physical at times. Don't get me wrong, there is a difference between physical play and grab and hold soccer...but that play wasn't enough for me to give a PK.

3) The US looked tired. It is tough to finish when you are tired, much tougher than playing defense.

You gotta finish much much better than that to deserve to win. And taking into account the numerous chances Germany missed, the result was fair. Disappointig to American fans...but credit the other team. The US had many chances in second half, but just couldn't come close to finishing, and panicked too early with a lot of time left.

Courtside ... I don't completely disagree on most of your coments.

The foul I completely disagree. I don't beleive there was intent ... but the fact is still simple ... the USA player (Lilly?) played the ball first and the Keeper arrived a half second later, did not play the ball at all and took down the USA player. Intent does not make or break a foul. It was a clear cut foul ... same as the handball in the box ... the linesman should have seen that.

Now with that said ... too many missed opportunities ... The USA completely controlled play ... just did not finish.

I'm not trying to complain ... but the facts of the game are that two clear penalty kicks should have been given to the USA and were not.

The German keeper was brilliant. She handled everything crosses high and low, a 1-1 with Mia (that should have been shot before that last touch) and a magnificent full out diving save. Against any other keeper any other night we win that game ... I think the lack of finishing was as much her as it was the USA team. I think they were getting frustrated ...

We will agree to disagree on the PK's. I need "more" to give a PK in that situation. The refs were definitely not the difference in the game. ...and if Scurry doesn't come up big a few times, it would have been a much bigger deficit. ...now, the USA controlled second half play and had some pressure...but really only came close to actually finishing a few times. Too many long balls, and unrealistic balls in space. If you are tired, which they were, control the ball more in offensive third. And, sometimes the other team is better on a given night. I am sure on many other nights it would have been a different result, but Germany deserved to win that game, and earned it. Even the US coach in today's USA Today commented on the areas where Germany is better(obviously not in all or most, but definitely some)

I am all about the US winning and all, but tip your cap to the Germans, and ...get frustrated at poor play up front for the US(should have been better than that)

I'm not saying Germany didn't deserve to win ... I think they played well, but only due to the GK did they deserve to win. Other than that they were outplayed. Which keeper made more fantastic saves?

You did not respond to the handball in the box ... did they not deserve a PK for that?

The difference between winning and losing at that level of soccer is very small ... with the PK on the handball the score probably becomes tied and is a different game ... if they get the second pk ... they are probably one up. Again a different game regardless of their inability to finish ... which I think is a plus for the German keeper ...not necessarily a minus for the US. Again the German keeper was brilliant.

I didn't see the handball in box Skip....if intentional or affected outcome I'd give a PK...like I said I saw half of game, not all.

From what I saw German keeper was very good, but I expect that in WC Semifinal. Obviously the U.S. controlled most of play, especially in second half. But not enough tic tac toe, nervous balls, rushed balls played. Not a lot of composure or finishing from big players. I was impressed with the way Germany played the game. THE U.S. played well enough in the middle of the field, but poorly in offensive end. It could have been a different result, but I didn't think they were that close in some of those "chances" they had. Pretty pedestrian at times, and overblown. I thought the US should have taken more advantage of possession. Their "service" and finish off of service was down right awful. And if it is that awful, I don't call it dominating. It is an important aspect of the game...while the US outplayed Germany in some areas, there were many where Germany outplayed them, and in a classy faashion, the US coach said they were outplayed in those particular areas of the game.

My last take on the take down, is this...to me...it was NOT a guarantee goal situation. It could have gone either way, and I am glad the PK was not awarded. And I was rooting for U.S. Can't be more objective than that.

Well actually the issue of this being a clear/obvious goal scoring opportunity has nothing to do with awarding of a penalty kick. If a foul was committed (and if you look at the replay there clearly was a foul - the keeper missed the ball and took down the player) then a PK should be rewarded. The only reason to consider if this was an obvious goal scoring opportunity would be to send off the keeper (if it was - and I agree it was not). It's not like football where, for instance, pass interference is not called if the pass was not catchable - you can foul someone in the box and be punished by a penalty kick even if the ball is on the other end of the field - as long as it is in play.

On the handling in the box - I haven't gone back to look at it again, but it appeared to me at the time that the player moved her arm (intentionally or not) and stopped the progress of the ball. Could very easily have been called, but these things are hard to see and judge at the speed they happen (slow-mo replay is great for us spectators).

Enough said ... Courtside, we will just have to disagree on this one. Either way Germany is still playing ... I'd love to see them win it. I lived in Trier Germany for four years and was a DJ. in numerous clubs throught and have a lot of friends there ... though not really in touch much its been 15 years.

Enjoy the DePaul game... looking forward to your report. We need a good win.