SLU Soccer

Billsboys

I have seen some of the threads the past few days and have been bitting my tongue trying to hold back from some of the lack of knowledge our so called experts on this board have displayed.

First to say off with DD's head is absolutely out of control. Dan, I think we all can agree has given his best effort and for that you should choose words a little more appropriate. Secondly, he probably is as dissapointed as anyone that the team has become far less than what he and most of us expected. I speak with Dan regularly and know that it has not been easy the last 2 years. IMO the team that has been put on the field is not a NCAA Tournament team. We have stuggeled to be consistant and lacked passion for the game from the players. Saying all that Donigan has made some crucial errors. As a former coach, recruiting is the lifeblood of the program. Many kids that have left to either go pro or transfer, the program knew they were leaving. I think the coaching staff had a hard time replacing these high level kids after they worked so hard to get them. Secondly, To say Dan is not a good recruiter is insane. Dan was the main recruiter for Bob W. while he was here and still is the main recuiter today. He has done a great job with that. Where he has failed is being a SMART recruiter. He knew some of those kids were a 1 year deal. He needs to get a better strategy on dealing with kids that are only going to be here a year or 2.

I was there the Day Bob left. Woolard didn't want to hire donnigan but boosters and Warming basically over rode that descison and Dan got the job. That was a tough start because Dan knew the circumstances. I think Dan should get one more year. I think he realizes the mistakes he made about the A10 comments being so weak and I think that will make him a better coach in the future. What some of the posters on this board don't realize is that there are a lot of things that go into coaching and for some of the people that get on this board and make comments about there authority on either basketball or any other sport amuses me. I can care to guess most of you didn't play college athletics and especially never coached at the D1 level. At SLU, even with the soccer program finances are always a problem, don't be surprised to see Donnigan look elsewhere to coach that has a bigger budget. When he leaves and if you keep following his career you will see he was a hell of a coach. You have to remember this was his first head coaching position. Head coach is very different from an assistant's role. I think he will get better as the mistakes he has made are learned from and he continues to grow.