Observations from Exhibition Game #2

thetorch

Naturally we are going from the high of dominating UMSL to the low of being beaten by Maryville in the second half.

From my vantage point this was not a useful game. We won't be seeing any exhibitions against Maryville ever again unless they improve their team markedly.

Maryville was no match for us at all. It was like playing a HS team. This was poor scheduling by the coaching staff. If we are going to have these games we have to have them against team who can compete with us on some level. A bad D-3 team is not going to cut it. UMSL is a good game for us. Truman is okay. I would lvoe to see Mckendree come in here or SIU-E. If it would be possible lets get Mineral Area or SWIC to play us (I don't know if the NCAA would allow JUCOs to play). There are plenty of area squads who could give us a game. Maryville just isn't one of them.

We killed them the first 10 minutes. After that there was no motivation for our guys. Add to the fact that Maryville went down fighting, and I mean that literally as they hacked us up and down the floor. Physically the game was kinda getting out of hand. Screens were more like hip checks. Hand checks were slaps and punches. Blocking was knocking guys down. I don't blame Maryvile, they were out of their league, frustrated that they couldn't get a shot off within 30 feet and they did what they had to do. Unfortunately though while this turned out great for Maryville's spirits it was a useles endeavor for SLU.

Bring on Eastern Illinois.

totally agree. This game really should have never been played. SIU-E would be good, McKendree would be fine, Missouri Southern, Truman, the likes of these schools would be a little bit better. IMO, and I know Doc B would/will disagree with me that our guys did not benefit from this game at all. Would have been better off with a very racous inter-team scrimmage.