Liddell in Hall of Fame HSI

kwyjibo

I went to the Hall of Fame High School Invitational but even though there were 7 games I only stayed for the first two.

Anyway, I saw Hargrave play Winchendon in the opener. I could just give you the stat line (Liddell had 2 points and the man he guarded Justin Dentman-who is scheduled to play for Romar at Washington-- had 31) and it would be very misleading. Hargrave won and a lot of that was due to the unselfish play of Liddell. I was very impressed with Tommie (I really did not know what to expect but I had read a lot of you folks you know his game much better than I--and I will say he did more than I expected).

The game started at 11:30am (I got there the same time as Matt Painter did and I waited in line between him and an old curly headed guy that was from Cincy) and some of the players were coasting early. Tommie was one of the few players that was ready from the opening tip. He played point and got it to all his teammates (I have no idea what the official stats were but Tommy had about 10 assists, 4 TOs, and a half dozen boards). He got out on the breaks and he could have scored 3 or 4 baskets early if his teammates had bothered to pass it to him. Dentmon tried to get all of his teammates involved early but realized it was easier to score himself as the game went on. Tommie played very good D but Winchendon screened a lot for him and nearly all his points came after Tommie was screened. Dentmon is a good player and uses screens well. Tommie did shut him down (with one notable exception on a sweet baseline reverse layup by Dentmon) whenever they were alone.

The game was generally sloppy early but there was a lot of talent on display. Tommie was involved in the 2 of the 3 most electrifying plays. He pitched a sweet alley-oop to Sam Young (going to Pitt and he was the most impressive of Tommie's teammates) who dunked hard. Somewhat less noted by the fans but appreciated by those around me was Tommie's sweet touch pass to (I think) Shane Clark (going to Maryland and this guy has a sweet touch but played pretty lackidaisically today). Tommie was slashing through the lane with a teammate with the ball on the wing. The pass was good right to Tommy but even before it got there Tommie saw the defender coming over to get in his way; while he was flying through the air, Tommie just tipped it over to a wide open Clark underneath the basket. Really heady and pretty. The third best play of the day was by Dentmon who hurdled a 4 foot tall water cooler just off the court while saving a ball back to a teammate.

I think Tommie was 1-3 from the field so I cannot say anything about his shooting (his two points were on a nice drive to the hole). I will say he saw the court very well (and he would have scored about a dozen if his teammates did). His team is quite powerful and they do not need him to score.

The only other teammate I will mention is AD Vassallo who is going to Richmond. We will be seeing this guy in the A10. He was very selfish when he got the ball but he can shoot. Shane Clark probably had the best looking shot but today his game was limited. Few of the Hargrave players (as talented as they are) could withstand the ball-hawking of Winchendon. Clark and even Young should have been embarassed by all the times they turned the ball over because they tried to dribble the ball up.

Winchendon were all Dentmon on offense. Cincy recruit Tyree Evans is supposed to be their other big scorer but he did not play. They had a skinny big man that is going to Arizona St. (Sylvester Seay) but he had a lot of stupid fouls in the first half and seemed not to care so the coach benched for most of the game. He did play harder when he came back on in the second half.

The only other game I saw was Northfield Mt. Herman Hoggers(!!) vs. Notre Dame Prep. Both prep schools in Massachusetts. Of the 7 games today this was supposed to be the one with the least firepower. Notre Prep killed them and the most impressive thing about them was their conditioning. They really seemed like excellent athletes.

This game featured another Romar recruit with the Hoggers 7' er Joe Wolfinger. He is a solid project. He moves well and has decent hands. He seems to know the game. Unfortunately, the game was going on a faster pace than he could handle and was a little lost. I did not see much of touch shooting today either.

The only other relevant recruit I saw was Notre Dame Prep's point guard Chester Frazier. He tried to force a little too much early but he really hustles. He can move and while he is strong he has a pretty small body. I saw him handle the ball well and eventually he got his shot going (but he did force a few too many for my taste). I read some pretty big talk about him by Bruce Weber, and while I think this guy has a lot of guts and hustle--he wasn't all that today (Dentmon and Liddell were better today).

While I'd take Hargrave's Sam Young right now I am happy SLU has Tommie.

Ok, I do NOT watch much high school basketball and this is only my observations of these guys in ONE game. Your mileage may vary.

I would guess we could do better elsewhere as Hargrave is LOADED with guys already committed to D-1 schools.

I heard some coaches talking behind me before the game and one was from an A-10 school(I am pretty sure Richmond because of Vassallo but I am guessing). He was talking about a Hargrave player who does not play a lot who was going to go to a D-II school. Anyway, I heard him talking about talking the kid into going to a D-I school; he was not recruiting him himself but seemed to be bragging he was throwing a bone to a smaller D-I school (he also mentioned that the D-II coach called him several times to yell at him). He might have been talking about 6'7" Renard Fields who was one of the more impressive on Hargrave that I didn't hear attached to a D-I team. But I do not know. Hargrave had a guy who saw about 5 minutes 6'10" Luke Devine (he reminded me a little of Frericks) and he is going to Fordham. That is how loaded Hargrave is.

"Sam Young (going to Pitt and he was the most impressive of

Tommie's teammates) who dunked hard."

First off, great report, you and I pretty much watch the game of basketball with the same eye. I came away with similar remarks after watching Hargrave play at Vashon against a Chicago area high school. Sam Young is the closest thing I have seen to Larry Johnson of UNLV fame in a high schooler. I think he will make an immediate impact at Pitt.

"Somewhat less noted by the fans but appreciated by those around me was Tommie's sweet touch pass to (I think) Shane Clark (going to Maryland and this guy has a sweet touch but played pretty

lackidaisically today)".

It seems Shane Clark played the same type of game in Ma. as he did in Mo. This guy has a nice touch and is freakishly long. I saw him continually pick the pockets of a guard despite being at least 5 ft off the guard. He initially signed with Villanova, but upgraded to Maryland after a summer of strong play. He was hyped as the best player on the roster by scout.com prior to the season. I disagree. I would rate him as the 4th best behind Sam Young, Tommie, and AD Vassallo.

"I think Tommie was 1-3 from the field so I cannot say

anything about his shooting (his two points were on a nice

drive to the hole). I will say he saw the court very well

(and he would have scored about a dozen if his teammates

did). His team is quite powerful and they do not need him

to score".

I was somewhat disappointed that I did not get the chance to see if Tommie improved his long range shooting when he played in Mo. He simply has taken on the mindset of a point guard. This team is loaded with players who can score and who score better with a pass first guard who creates opportunities for them. I think Tommie realizes this and plays accordingly. When he visited St Louis over the Xmas break he took in a game at Savvis and noted most of the players for SLU were looking for someone to pass it to, as opposed to scoring. He realizes he will have to take on a different role at SLU. I have spoken with Hargrave's head coach on different occasions and he states Tommie plays really well in practices.

"The only other teammate I will mention is AD Vassallo who is

going to Richmond. We will be seeing this guy in the A10.

He was very selfish when he got the ball but he can shoot".

Yes, he is a 6'6 wing who shoots lights out. He and Tommie are roommates and should have some nice battles in the upcoming years.

"Shane Clark probably had the best looking shot but today his

game was limited".

He was the most highly rated of all of Hargrave's players. It goes to show you how inaccurate some rankings are as I have him as the 4th best talent on the team.

"Today Dentmon and Liddell were better today".

I think this statement will hold true on most occasions. I think Tommie in particular was dismissed to easily by national scouts as a point. Dave Telep in his assessment of Hargrave stated that the success of Hargrave would hinge on Liddell's ability to play the point. "A position transition that Liddell was in the midst of making". Anyone who had seen Liddell in HS knew he had the capability to run the point as he was his team's de facto point.

"While I'd take Hargrave's Sam Young right now I am happy SLU

has Tommie".

Apples and Oranges. What was your impression of Jerome Johnson(Hargrave's 6'9 inch pf/c). I have been on Liddell to really try to lure him to SLU. He works hard and like Liddell doesn't really get his touches. I told Tommie to sell this fact on him. Let him know that his touches would increase at SLU.

>"While I'd take Hargrave's Sam Young right now I am happy

>SLU

>has Tommie".

>

>Apples and Oranges. What was your impression of Jerome

>Johnson(Hargrave's 6'9 inch pf/c). I have been on Liddell to

>really try to lure him to SLU. He works hard and like

>Liddell doesn't really get his touches. I told Tommie to

>sell this fact on him. Let him know that his touches would

>increase at SLU.

My comment about Young had nothing to do with Tommie, just that SLU needs a forward.

Honestly, I cannot say much about Johnson as I did not notice him much, but I was focused on Tommie. I did remember he had a nice block. I don't think he played much.

I just saw the stats in the paper and they said Tommie had 11 assists, 7 boards and 2 blocks.