Slaten vs. Majerus ......

Taj79

.... just so you know, in my endless channel surfing, I came across the ESPN basketball show one night (so endless I can't remember when exactly but recently) and in it, Rick Majerus and Fran Franchilla (whatever (sp?)) were going over a litany of items when Majerus broke off the subject under discussion and returned to the previous discussion of up-and-coming coaches (I think it was in the preseason tourney that had Memphis in it and led to CUSA discussions). Anyway, Majerus made it a point to mention "that young kid down at Saint Louis doing a great job .... Soderberg ...." and went on to say that while most of the focus on the breakup of CUSA was focused on who was going to the Big East and who was staying to dominate the new CUSA (Memphis), the A-10 could be in for a big change with the addition of Charlotte and Saint Louis.

Now I read with great interest the Slaten crap below and have to wonder, who do you want to believe ... a sports radio shock jock who has an iron in this particular fire (his son) or a well-respected former collegiate coach? I have never been a real fan of Majerus but I think I'll take Majerus at his word over Slaten's words right now.

Having never seen Slaten since his day of infamy as the Steamers PA announcer, I have to think of my pals Kornhesier and Wilbon over on PTI. There are times their arguments are so fake and concocted, that its obvious they are making it up and mugging for the camera and the ratings. I have to believe Slaten is the same way but would offer that with the noted personal interest, he should stay away from any SLU commentary. Of course, he could argue that his kid doesn't go there so they are fair game and he'd have a valid retort. But we need to understand and make others aware of his bias so that this drivel does not turn into anything of substance.

You can say anything that someone could perceive to be a lie ... what if Soderberg said "we'll give him a look" and when he actually went to a game or one of his assistants did, Slaten wasn't there or didn't see him. In Slaten's reality, they lied. So be it ... your perception is your reality. Slaten perceived his kid good enough to get a free ride. Because he didn't I don't think Slaten will blame his own perception ... he needs a scapegoat. There you go.

It must be really tought to have a father who's a big enough *ss to embarrass your own kid in public. Remind me to hug my dad when I see him again.