for the torch

Cowboy

"As always there is a chance that grades will be a problem with a Vashon player"

Torch,

Please give examples to backup the above statement where Vashon players (other than Nick Kern)who are recruitable skillwise don't get into schools because they can't qualify academically.

My quick recollection over the past few years is that Shelton got into SEMO and left (I heard for personal reasons not academic related but I don't know for sure), McKinney and Franklin(for football but played basketball at the V) are at Mizzou, Polk is at SLU, not sure what happened to Gordon so he may or may not fit this discussion and there was a QB at the V that went to Mizzou also, not sure on his status there(I remember him and McKinney being close friends). How many schools in STL area have produced this many D1 prospects in the last 5-6 years and have a better placement record that is public knowledge?

Looking at Vashon from afar and commenting on this without really knowing (but that is a large part of internet posting), I think the record is pretty good, all things considered

First off the city schools are attrocious. Kids have to work twice as hard to get the scores necessary to get into decent colleges. Then asking those kids to juggle schoolwork while playing a sport will be doubly difficult for them. Polk and McKinney are the exceptions to the norm.

Also Vashon does have a track record of fielding players who do not have what it takes to make it acedemically. Irons has improved on this point in the past few years but in the 90s and 80s you were hard pressed to find a kid who could be a decent student and not a complete headcase coming out of Vashon.

Case in point you cite Joel Shelton and Lorenzo Gordon. Both of those guys had rough adjustment periods with college. Neither of them had the grades to remain eligible throughout their first year. I give a lot of credit to both for working through and becoming successful students and ballplayers, especially Gordon who is excelling at Illinois St on the court and off. Curtis Muse last year, he has high D-1 talent, but he has had poor grades throughout his hs career at RG and Vashon.

This is not an indictment of individual players, more of the system in place with the city schools. Until there is a huge change there all the kid coming out of there will be scrutinized and for good reason.

"Curtis Muse last year, he has high D-1 talent"

Wow, I did not see it, high D-1? I don't care if was 6-9, he was not high or mid D-1, maybe low D-1 but only b/c there are 325 D-1 schools. IMO he could not contribute to any D-1 team in Missouri without a great leap in his playing ability, and UMKC is on this list.

But back to the real issue, who are these V kids in the 90's and 80's (complete headcases as you referred to them) with D-1 talent that did not get into a school b/c of academic qualifying or lack thereof??