Our A-10 Schedule

ACE

21 hours ago, Littlebill said:

I think it is different than RPI in that sense. As long as we beat those teams by a good margin, we will move up - similar to how it happened after App State

20 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

hope you are right.   after yesterday and seeing how the NET reacted might be.  

The NET formula caps a win at 10 points margin. "In addition, a cap of 10 points was applied to the winning margin to prevent rankings from encouraging unsportsmanlike play, such as needlessly running up the score in a game where the outcome was certain."

On 12/31/2018 at 11:17 AM, ACE said:

Looking at the conference schedule, it potentially shapes up well for to get off to a strong start. Only three road games in January

- The first two games are home games (URI & UMass).

- Our first two road games are LaSalle and Fordham... enough said.

- Then a home game against St. Joe's - good opportunity to get a big conference win.

- At Duquesne

- Closing out the month with two home games, Davidson & Richmond

Going undefeated in January would not seem to be out of the question. Our two toughest games are both at home. We'll need to start developing some consistency in order for it to happen - more efforts like yesterday and the Houston game.

February will be a bigger challenge with some tougher road games, but we'll have an opportunity to rack up some wins and begin to jell throughout the month of January.

How many more losses can we afford to still have a shot at an at-large bid? 

I agree that we could (should) go undefeated in January.  For me, the Fordham game is the one where I see possible issues.  We have lost our last two games at Rose Hill in '15 and '17.  Fordham could be a huge wildcard in the A10 or could be a complete dud. Today, Honor would probably be the freshman of the year, but there is a long way to go. And we are currently 1-4 on away or neutral courts.

Going undefeated at home is a reasonable target. It has only been done twice in Billiken history, most recently Grawer's 88-89 NIT team. 

Bottom line for me is Top 4 in conference, with the bye for the conference tourney.  After VCU, Davidson, Dayton and SLU, the rest of the league is jumbled up.  Sure Top seed is better than the 4 seed, but it might not really matter come tourney time.  Bottom seeds can get on a roll, and higher seeds can take a fall in the early rounds.