A Conversation with Jim Crews via slubillikens.com

ThomasCrone

that was a good read, snacktually. i like jimmy crews, i just wish he'd use some gotdamn timeouts and become a recruiting psycho. i like this part:

Academics have always been important to this program. Can you address how that affects your job?

First off, we recruit to it. Number two, we want guys who want to get a degree. They come to this school to get that degree. If we have to force-feed them or babysit, then we’re not interested. Helping, yes, absolutely we are given the resources to help. That’s what SLU is all about. The department gives the kids all the resources. Honestly, though, if a kid graduates, it’s not a big deal. Now, if they’re the first person in the family to ever graduate college, then that’s an enormous deal; I’ve coached maybe eight or 10 players like that and it’s pretty cool. But, otherwise, it’s your responsibility to graduate. There’s no Fourth of July parade for you.

if a dude doesn't have the dedication to graduate college, he doesn't have the dedication to become a better individual basketball player, much less a better team basketball player (i.e. defense). character is paramount at our level. but man, we need lots of high-character 3-stars. and 4s wouldn't hurt. preferably point guards and power forwards.

He's a good interview, ie says all the right things. So unlike Rick, who spoke in stream of conscious. I realize you can't get a prediction out of a coach, but it would have been nice to ask him we're we are as compared to last year, or where he wants us to be.