Majerus 4 out Motion Offense and Crews Shuffle Offense

It is much discussed that Coach Crews did not change Majerus' offense for the team this year. I personally hope that if he is retained he keeps that offense for next season and subsequent seasons because we will have a veteran team. I wanted to look into the two offenses a bit more and here is what I found:

These are notes taken from Majerus regarding his offensive schemes

http://www.hoopsplus.org/coach-majerus-4out_motion-notes.pdf

Key Points of the Offense

"-Get to the free throw line (premise of offense): Do not allow this to become a
jump-shooting offense. Get the ball inside via post ups, cutting and driving.
-Maintain spacing: Is your team maintaining spacing on the 3rd side of the floor after 2
reversals? Be sure to watch game tape to examine if you are.
-Share the ball
-Shot allocation: Our shooters are shooting (“THE most telling halftime statistics were
the shot totals for my 2 best players”) Our shooters are looking for screens and our
non-shooters are looking for shooters to screen for."
Also noted a 4 that can drive, shoot and create mismatches on the block really transforms the offense.
Usually 2 shooters take most of the shots
Information regarding the shuffle offense found here:
All 5 offensive positions are interchangeable and all players will occupy the different positions in the offense
This offense is good for teams without a dominate big man and can draw out the opposing big man to the perimeter
The offense doesn't change vs a zone or man to man
substitutions don't have to be by position
All players must be good passers
I think the strategies of both are interesting. With this team I could see a Shuffle Offense working. In the A10 we should be able to attract big men as good as the other teams. If we're in the NBE we may not have that at first and maybe a shuffle would be advantageous. If I were making the choice I'd stick with what we have now.

Generically speaking, RM repeatedly said his most important players are this 1 and 4 (PG and Pwr Forward). Andre Miller and Keith Van Horne were the examples at Utah. RM was rebuilding the program here at SLU, but ironically, we sure had some good guards (TL, KL, KM MM, JJ) but it could be argued they were more 2 guards and our 4?? BC, DE and CE??