Otto Porter to visit Georgetown soon

bk18

That one isn't on Haith.

Yes and no. Haith is not responsible for Mizzou's recent basketball history, tradition, success as it compares to G'Towne and KU but Haith is responsible for his own poor record these past 7 years at Miami and the lack of buzz or excitement his hiring by Mizzou has brought to the program. Maybe Haith does even better than Mike Anderson. Maybe with a full year of recruiting, Haith gets next year's version of Otto Porter to commit to Mizzou. Time was certainly not on Haith's side. Still, the quick timing of Haith's hiring, the public statements that Porter is a big target for Mizzou and first chance for Haith and the fact that Haith went elsewhere is not a success for Haith. Maybe if Lance Painter took the job that Porter would have gone to Mizzou. Still, it is quite common for a new coach to be hired at a school and immediately land a kid who had not really been considering the school. If a coach makes an effort and lands the recruit (such as if Haith came in and convinced Porter to come to Mizzou), would the new coach, such as Haith, not receive credit? Would the new coach be credited with brining with a new breath of fresh air, a new direction for the program, a new buzz and excitement... Therefore, if a kid like Porter who is from rural Missouri where Mizzou has traditionally done quite well and who has repeatedly made statements that he would like to stay closer to home goes elsewhere after seeing that Mizzou hired a head coach, who was all but fired from Miami, whose former employer (Miami) immediately released him from his contractual provisions requiring Haith to pay Miami if he leaves before the end of his contract with Miami, who had a disappointing and sub-.500 record over 7 years, whose team was no closer to contending for the ACC title next year v. the 7 years earlier and whose Mizzou boosters, uniformly across the state and even within the Board of Curators, pan the selection, then I say it is "on Haith."

Yes and no. Haith is not responsible for Mizzou's recent basketball history, tradition, success as it compares to G'Towne and KU but Haith is responsible for his own poor record these past 7 years at Miami and the lack of buzz or excitement his hiring by Mizzou has brought to the program. Maybe Haith does even better than Mike Anderson. Maybe with a full year of recruiting, Haith gets next year's version of Otto Porter to commit to Mizzou. Time was certainly not on Haith's side. Still, the quick timing of Haith's hiring, the public statements that Porter is a big target for Mizzou and first chance for Haith and the fact that Haith went elsewhere is not a success for Haith. Maybe if Lance Painter took the job that Porter would have gone to Mizzou. Still, it is quite common for a new coach to be hired at a school and immediately land a kid who had not really been considering the school. If a coach makes an effort and lands the recruit (such as if Haith came in and convinced Porter to come to Mizzou), would the new coach, such as Haith, not receive credit? Would the new coach be credited with brining with a new breath of fresh air, a new direction for the program, a new buzz and excitement... Therefore, if a kid like Porter who is from rural Missouri where Mizzou has traditionally done quite well and who has repeatedly made statements that he would like to stay closer to home goes elsewhere after seeing that Mizzou hired a head coach, who was all but fired from Miami, whose former employer (Miami) immediately released him from his contractual provisions requiring Haith to pay Miami if he leaves before the end of his contract with Miami, who had a disappointing and sub-.500 record over 7 years, whose team was no closer to contending for the ACC title next year v. the 7 years earlier and whose Mizzou boosters, uniformly across the state and even within the Board of Curators, pan the selection, then I say it is "on Haith."

Somehow I doubt that Lance Painter could have gotten Porter, though I do remember fondly his appearances in relief for the redbirds.

If you've done any recent research on Porter and Georgetown, you'd know that the lead recruiter for Georgetown(Robert Kirby) has been friends with Otto Sr for 30 years. It's kind of telling that all the "experts" who said he wanted to stay close to home are explaining it all away by saying the family never spoke about recruiting. Well why were they speculating when they didn't know. Missouri probably would have been in it before Anderson left but that sealed it. Haith knew he didn't have a chance after one phone call. Credit Georgetown for cranking up their effort when it became likely Anderson was leaving.

If you've done any recent research on Porter and Georgetown, you'd know that the lead recruiter for Georgetown(Robert Kirby) has been friends with Otto Sr for 30 years. It's kind of telling that all the "experts" who said he wanted to stay close to home are explaining it all away by saying the family never spoke about recruiting. Well why were they speculating when they didn't know. Missouri probably would have been in it before Anderson left but that sealed it. Haith knew he didn't have a chance after one phone call. Credit Georgetown for cranking up their effort when it became likely Anderson was leaving.

Lefty.

First, unlike you, I am not a Mizzou fan and I admit that I did no research for your beloved university or for G'Town. Instead, I am simply all smiles listening to the infighting among the Tiger faithful.

Second, I am not giving Anderson credit. Although a good man and a decent coach, Anderson hardly sealed the borders. Why expect anything different with Otto? In the mix? Sure. Don't you think it's kind of hard for a rural Missouri boy not to put Mizzou in his top 3. Is that more a credit to Anderson or the fact that most rural kids grown up wanting to go to and to play for the big state school.

Third, I do agree that Haith knew he didn't have a chance after one phone call. Believe that will happen over and over again with Haith and Mizzou whether Haith has one week, one year or one decade to recruit a kid. To me, the lack of any real chance to get Porter has as much to do with Haith, Mizzou and Columbia, MO as it does the short period of time and prior connections/relationships established. Pick your coach --- Coach K, John Wooden in his heyday --- if selected as head coach at Mizzou, Porter would have changed his mind and gone there. My point: for the right coach, Porter would have gone to Mizzou. For Haith, not a chance.