Hey Skip

kevinfootes

Skip, remember last season when you and I were just about the only ones saying that Cassity needed to shoot the ball more? Many people on here were saying "that's not his game". While it's VERY early, I'm glad to see KC taking more of a leadership role. He's had it in him all along.

I remember quite a few people thinking he needed to be more aggressive including RM who stated it numerous times. However, even with RM saying there were still people jumping to his defense as if saying he needed to be more aggressive was the same as saying he sucked.

Comparing this year though to last year doesn't really work though as last year we needed him to make defenders play him honestly by taking what he was given and not pass up open looks or drives. This year we need him to be able to create his own opportunities while creating for others. If we are going to have any success at all this year Kyle has to play consistently like he's a go to scorer.

I remember quite a few people thinking he needed to be more aggressive including RM who stated it numerous times. However, even with RM saying there were still people jumping to his defense as if saying he needed to be more aggressive was the same as saying he sucked.

Comparing this year though to last year doesn't really work though as last year we needed him to make defenders play him honestly by taking what he was given and not pass up open looks or drives. This year we need him to be able to create his own opportunities while creating for others. If we are going to have any success at all this year Kyle has to play consistently like he's a go to scorer.

I disagree a bit here. Last year we were a team that could only score around 60 points per game. KC was one of our best shooters and on many occasions only took a few shots in a gmae. I think we needed KC scoring last year as well.

I disagree a bit here. Last year we were a team that could only score around 60 points per game. KC was one of our best shooters and on many occasions only took a few shots in a gmae. I think we needed KC scoring last year as well.

Not true. Once Cody joined, the Bills were capable of scoring more that 60 points per game. Kyle could defer to Willie, Kwamain and Cody and be a 4th or 5th scoring option. Now unfortunately, this current team is back to having challenges scoring and it is more important that Kyle look more to be a scorer.

You are correct. We needed KC to score last year and we may have averaged in the seventies. If we had averaged in the seventies we would have won a number of the games we lost. How anyone could think that we did not need more scoring from other people last year is puzzling to me.

I didn't say we didn't need him to score more. I was on record as saying we did. However, comparing what we needed last year to what we need this year isn't the same. Last year he was our 3rd option early and our 4th option after CE arrived. What we didn't need from KC last year was to force the ball being overly aggressive. What we did need from him was for him to be more agressive in taking the opportunities given to him.

This year he has to be a go to guy. In doing so, he will need to create opportunities and be much more agressive in finding ways to score.

Not true. Once Cody joined, the Bills were capable of scoring more that 60 points per game. Kyle could defer to Willie, Kwamain and Cody and be a 4th or 5th scoring option. Now unfortunately, this current team is back to having challenges scoring and it is more important that Kyle look more to be a scorer.

I threw out 60 PPG as a ballpark figure. I looked it up and the team averaged 63 PPG after CE came on board. I think my point is still valid.

I didn't say we didn't need him to score more. I was on record as saying we did. However, comparing what we needed last year to what we need this year isn't the same. Last year he was our 3rd option early and our 4th option after CE arrived. What we didn't need from KC last year was to force the ball being overly aggressive. What we did need from him was for him to be more agressive in taking the opportunities given to him.

This year he has to be a go to guy. In doing so, he will need to create opportunities and be much more agressive in finding ways to score.

I think we're talking about semantics here. I never suggested that KC needed to shoot the ball every time he touched it. I will say that KC had a slightly better FG percentage than CE last year, so I'm not sure why he automatically became the 4th option.

I think we're talking about semantics here. I never suggested that KC needed to shoot the ball every time he touched it. I will say that KC had a slightly better FG percentage than CE last year, so I'm not sure why he automatically became the 4th option.

I agree I think we are saying the same thing.

Cody started out with a pretty good 3 pt % and then faded as his conditioning caught up. Kyle's fg% and 3 pt% started lower and improved throughout season and especially conference play as it seemed to me he did become a little more confident with his shot. I think what we are seeing now is just the natural progression of a talented player maturing.

I threw out 60 PPG as a ballpark figure. I looked it up and the team averaged 63 PPG after CE came on board. I think my point is still valid.

The part that I disagreed with was your statement that last year's team could only score around 60 points per game. If you are suggesting they were only capable of that, I disagree. If you have a lineup of three double-digit scorers, plus a few decent secondary scoring options like Jordan, Cassitty and Salecich, you are a team capable of scoring more than 60, depending in part by the opponent's style of play. With the Majerus style - no pressing, few fastbreaks, limiting the other team from breaking, games will generally be lower scoring. Even if Majerus has a lot of offensive firepower, the games will not be as high scoring as they would be under a different system. After Ellis arrived, low scoring games were generally not because of lack of offensive firepower. Take the game against Temple for example. The Bills were matched up with another team that wanted to grind it out, run a lot of the shot clock, etc. Those type of games are destined to be low scoring.

The part that I disagreed with was your statement that last year's team could only score around 60 points per game. If you are suggesting they were only capable of that, I disagree. If you have a lineup of three double-digit scorers, plus a few decent secondary scoring options like Jordan, Cassitty and Salecich, you are a team capable of scoring more than 60, depending in part by the opponent's style of play. With the Majerus style - no pressing, few fastbreaks, limiting the other team from breaking, games will generally be lower scoring. Even if Majerus has a lot of offensive firepower, the games will not be as high scoring as they would be under a different system. After Ellis arrived, low scoring games were generally not because of lack of offensive firepower. Take the game against Temple for example. The Bills were matched up with another team that wanted to grind it out, run a lot of the shot clock, etc. Those type of games are destined to be low scoring.

That's kind of the thing about statistics. Sure we could score more than that, and did on some occasions. We also scored a lot less than that from time to time. The average was 63. After CE came they broke 70 4 times.

I think that when you have a grind it out kind of team it's even more important for good shooters to take shots when they've got them.

My point about KC was that there were a few games last year when he played 35 minutes and only took 3 or 4 shots. He also went to the line an incredibly low number of times (he played in 36 games and went to the line 22 times!!!!!!), which implies that he could have been more aggressive on offense. Majerus said as much.