Billikens.com Moving to New Server

SluSignGuy

I posted this on the front page, but repeating it here since not everyone goes to Billikens.com directly.

In the next few days, I will be moving Billikens.com to a new web host. It should be a significant upgrade from our current host, so the site should not crash (god willing) during game day threads. During migration some posts however will likely be lost. I will try to keep these to a minimum, and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

The cost of the host is considerably more, but due to the generosity of Billikens.com users, we should be good financially through March Madness 2012. To justify the move and expense a bit, Billikens.com traffic in August 2010 is comparable to traffic in November 2008 (when the season was actually going on). There are less overall pageviews, but the number of visitors is about the same if not more. If we compare February 2008 to February 2010, visits doubled and page views increased by 150%. And this is for a team that didn't make the NIT. I am not sure where this season will take us, but I would rather move the site in September than during the season. I hope this seems reasonable.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns. Feel free to let me know. (I however warn, during migration my email address [email protected] may not get all emails...I know bad problem).

Thank you for your patience,

Steve

I posted this on the front page, but repeating it here since not everyone goes to Billikens.com directly.

In the next few days, I will be moving Billikens.com to a new web host. It should be a significant upgrade from our current host, so the site should not crash (god willing) during game day threads. During migration some posts however will likely be lost. I will try to keep these to a minimum, and I apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

The cost of the host is considerably more, but due to the generosity of Billikens.com users, we should be good financially through March Madness 2012. To justify the move and expense a bit, Billikens.com traffic in August 2010 is comparable to traffic in November 2008 (when the season was actually going on). There are less overall pageviews, but the number of visitors is about the same if not more. If we compare February 2008 to February 2010, visits doubled and page views increased by 150%. And this is for a team that didn't make the NIT. I am not sure where this season will take us, but I would rather move the site in September than during the season. I hope this seems reasonable.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns. Feel free to let me know. (I however warn, during migration my email address [email protected] may not get all emails...I know bad problem).

Thank you for your patience,

Steve

Hmmm. I'm not sure if the message board timeouts had anything to do with the server. Rather, it may have been the script. Whenever someone is trying to post, the script temporarily locks out the file so that there aren't two machines trying to change the same file simultaneously, because that would mess things up. But the process usually takes only a fraction of a second. But if there are a couple of hundred people refreshing and trying to post at virtually the same time, that increases the probability that some of the time some of them will be timed out. The script has been upgraded and is faster, but the server doesn't necessarily have much to do with that. So there may still be script error messages even with an upgraded server.

Hmmm. I'm not sure if the message board timeouts had anything to do with the server. Rather, it may have been the script. Whenever someone is trying to post, the script temporarily locks out the file so that there aren't two machines trying to change the same file simultaneously, because that would mess things up. But the process usually takes only a fraction of a second. But if there are a couple of hundred people refreshing and trying to post at virtually the same time, that increases the probability that some of the time some of them will be timed out. The script has been upgraded and is faster, but the server doesn't necessarily have much to do with that. So there may still be script error messages even with an upgraded server.

I don't think it is a script situation. Since moving to this forum software, I have gotten less under the hood, but I think lock files are used more in Perl. This forum software uses PHP, and it runs forums that have hundreds of users online all of the time. I however am not educated enough about how PHP works.

The problem during the season was that there were too many concurrent connections to the MySQL server. I confirmed this with the old web host. They had a specific cap, and when we exceeded this cap, people temporarily received the error message. They suggested I upgrade to their VPS service. Despite being very happy with their shared service, their VPS service gets horrible reviews and offers expensive support. The new host gets great reviews and a little more hand holding for me. There is still the potential for errors, but if there are errors on the new server...the Billikens will be doing very very well.

I don't think it is a script situation. Since moving to this forum software, I have gotten less under the hood, but I think lock files are used more in Perl. This forum software uses PHP, and it runs forums that have hundreds of users online all of the time. I however am not educated enough about how PHP works.

The problem during the season was that there were too many concurrent connections to the MySQL server. I confirmed this with the old web host. They had a specific cap, and when we exceeded this cap, people temporarily received the error message. They suggested I upgrade to their VPS service. Despite being very happy with their shared service, their VPS service gets horrible reviews and offers expensive support. The new host gets great reviews and a little more hand holding for me. There is still the potential for errors, but if there are errors on the new server...the Billikens will be doing very very well.

Okay. I stand corrected.