OT: Onyewu to AC Milan

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9778...-joins-AC-Milan

This is an excellent opportunity for Onyewu and should be good for the national team.

While training with Milan should be helpful, let's hope he doesn't rot away on the bench. Based on the little I know and have read about Milan's defense, he should get a few opportunities to play.

While training with Milan should be helpful, let's hope he doesn't rot away on the bench. Based on the little I know and have read about Milan's defense, he should get a few opportunities to play.

I don't think that will be the case, unless he really fails. We need our best players in the highest level of competition. It wasn't too long ago that Americans who were playing regularly in Europe were regularly passed over for guys who were practicing with the national team and doing little else. I'm thankful those days are over.

It sounds as though he may be one of the starting center backs... Maldini is gone and its not like Milan's back line is a star studded crew. Big move for Gooch.

He'll get his chances, but let's not kid ourselves. He was not signed to be automatically pencilled into the starting XI.

Nesta and Kaladze are still there (although both are injury prone) and Milan also signed Thiago Silva (for 10 million Euros). There's also still Giuseppe Favalli plugging away (but getting older) and young Italian U-21 international Matteo Darmian pushing for a spot.

If Onyewu plays well he'll work his way into the rotation, no doubt, but there's also a good chance he does actually sit a lot.

But it will be just great to see another American (###### Belgian national) finally play in Serie A.