Jerome Jones

That's a pretty safe bet, assuming Jones qualifies and actually gets into a game at Mo. State.

Considering Kirk is out of basketball — and out of college, apparently — after one redshirt year at a D-1 and being a backup at a junior college, there's no way anyone can claim he had a successful college career.

Agreed.

To the earlier poster, it is quite possible I'm thinking of the Tigers, probably moreso thinking of Stl Today. I haven't been a poster here for long, and am not even the person who brought Kirk up.

Similar players for sure. Hopefully Jones doesn't have grade issues.

Any details there Nate?

Funny how the revisionist history works as well...Kirk was poo-pooed on this board from the start.

Jones is rated top-200 and top-150 by two separate sites...I don't remember Kirk being rated that way at the time. I was excited for Kirk at the time, and that post never slams or disparages Kirk in any way.

Jones' recruiting had just begun to start to increase, the summer before your senior year is the biggest summer of your recruiting life. We'll see who has a better college career, but I'd have to wager it will be Jones, considering Kirk didn't start for his JUCO team before getting hurt, wasn't good enough to play big minutes for a team with a hole at both the Guard positions, and the 3, so he redshirted, and had other issues in college.

Both players are highly rated for one reason: Their athleticism.

I saw Kirk play at that Nike Hoop Jamboree a few years back (2004, I believe) at the Simon Rec while I was scorekeeper. His team played right before Jeffrey Jordan's team and His Airness was in attendance with Juwan Howard. Anyway, I was pretty impressed with Kirk overall- not a bad shot, good size and strength for his age, confident on both ends, vocal leader for a group of kids he barely knew, and a good nose for getting to the basket. The only thing that was not impressive about him to me was that tattoo on his bicep ("KIRK" in big green letters above a basketball with wings).

Based on the couple games I saw him play in that week, and against some great competition, I would have expected him to have a nice career ahead of him in high school and college. It's disappointing things didn't work out at Missouri State and he's left the game. He seemed to have strong potential.

Outside of his obvious athleticism, I always thought the best part of his game was his attitude. He was tough, strong, vocal, would do whatever it took to score. Even if it meant going through you.

Was sad to see him leave MSU honestly...we sure could have used a little more of that over the past two years.