i hope brand succeeds on academic reform

http://www.sportsline.com/general/story/10308243

many dont like brand. i think the fact he has tried to focus on making the "student" of "student-athlete" more important makes brand a hero. it will indeed be interesting to see if d-1 presidents hold strong on this.

http://www.sportsline.com/general/story/10308243

many dont like brand. i think the fact he has tried to focus on making the "student" of "student-athlete" more important makes brand a hero. it will indeed be interesting to see if d-1 presidents hold strong on this.

I didn't like Brand when he was at IU (and I was a Grad Student), and I don't care for his generally "Higher than Thou" attitude. BUT, this is one area where I respect and support his stance. Too many student-athletes are falling through the cracks (you could say that about students in general), and if this causes schools to stop letting their athletes take basket-weaving or sandbox construction, then i'm all for it.

i dont think it is a matter of student-athletes "falling through the cracks" as much as it is athletes that never were students in the first place.

college should not be the minor leagues for the nfl and the nba. if the kids dont want to go to school or are incapable of being college students, then they shouldnt be in college just because they can shoot three pointers, dunk, score touchdowns or tackle quarterbacks.

school first sports second.