Cut through the BS

Canadian

i guess i just understand ripping on his local recruiting when he actually got 4 out of 5 of the local all metro team to sign.

Correct. But if we had Shaw and a Terry Evans, for example, we would have the other pieces that are keeping this from being a tournament team. I believe if Brad had a solid and consistent relationship with ALL of the high schools in the area (and I don't know just how extensive his connection is) then I feel that his focus would be more beneficial. Not that he should ignore the Lisch or Liddell, but those other pieces are just as important.

we indeed did offer shaw, but only after we offered grimes and carbondale used that against us. we then signed newborne instead for that scholarship.

at the time evans was a senior he was recovering from knee surgery. i am not sure i hold that against a coach in the same year he signed polk, meyer and brown. evans would have been here in place of the juco alexander who ended up couldnt get into slu because of academic shortfall due to the rule that says a juco has to be able to slide into an existing major at the school they are tranferring to. alexander ended up at new mexico state where he started. we then grabbed danny brown. while brown hasnt been great, i am not sure even in hindsight if i want evans over danny brown.

My point about Evans is that he was an established player in the community, and he was a product of Marvin Neals, one well-respected and classy coach. If Brad would have offered Evans, even if it didn't pan out the way it has--but he is the kind of kid who had the makeup to create his present situation--Brad would have garnered much respect with a powerful coach and a big chunk the St. Louis basketball community. That, in itself, would have helped Brad, if he followed up on it, to make huge inroads in recruiting by sticking by a St. Louis kid.