Suggs Article

MISSOURI WING NOT A SECRET

By Eric Bossi

[email protected]

April 27, 2006

Partly because of his age and partly because of where he plays his high school ball, not many people outside of the Midwest knew about Scott Suggs a month ago. After terrific showings with the St. Louis Eagles at both the Boo Williams Invitational and the Kingwood Classic, however, the rest of the country is beginning to notice the 6-5 sophomore WG from Washington (MO) High.

From the sounds of it, he doesn't care if his name is mentioned on the internet or if he's listed in rankings.

"You know, I really try to come out to every game the same," Suggs said. "I come out and play my hardest, see what I can do and just take it from there and try to build up my confidence."

With long arms and a slender build, Suggs sometimes looks like he's in slow motion. He lulls defenders to sleep with his methodic hip-high dribble before snapping the ball from one side to the other and blowing by them into the lane. He can shoot jumpers from deep and he's an excellent passer, but it's his outstanding mid-range game that really sets him apart from his peers.

"I think shooting off the dribble and the mid-range jumper is the best part of my game," said Suggs. "I think that I need to work on catching and shooting."

Even though he may not have had a reputation nationally with scouts, college coaches are already very familiar with his game. Odds are that they and the scouts will become much more familiar with him down the road, and he's just started the recruitment process.

"Right now I don't really know where I want to go, so any college that is interested can recruit me," said Suggs. "Illinois, Washington, Saint Louis, SIU and Kansas are recruiting me early."

As for what he's looking for:

"I'm not sure yet," said Suggs. "I think I might want to go far away, I might want to stay home. It's just going to depend what I feel like when I'm a senior."

Scott Suggs and Bill Brandenburg - Representing KU’s coaching contingent in Duncanville, assistant coach Tim Jankovich stopped in to watch two of the St. Louis area’s finest 2008 prospects for a bit. Suggs is a long and skilled wing who has a pretty jumper and well developed handle. Already a legit 6-5, he’s growing again and it was pretty clear that his knees were giving him issues.

While Suggs cooled off a little after a hot early spring, the 6-10 Brandenburg turned plenty of heads. He runs, has a frame that could carry plenty of weight, has terrific skills and nice bounce around the rim. He’s just growing comfortable with his capabilities and has to learn to play with the toughness that his body will allow, but he’s got