Cory Johnson

>I agree, but I think a 6'8 big man sitting on Vashon's

>varsity bench would start at a school like DeSmet or

>Kirkwood, but I dont think a 6'10 kid playing mostly JV on a

>bad DeSmet or average Kirkwood team would start for Vashon.

>Most of the kids on Vashon's bench would start at most

>schools.

This is one example that you don't know what you're talking about.

You are talking about kids who aren't good enough to come off the bench when Vashon plays decent teams. You're not talking about kids who are contributing off the bench, like Brian Roach. Look at the schedule and click on some games and you can see for yourself: http://prepsports3.stltoday.com/basketball...chedule277.shtm

Of course you won't let facts get in the way of your arguments.

> Nate, what makes you think that SLU isn't aware of, or

>hasn't been recruiting John Brandenberg?

I'm sure SLU is aware of John Brandenberg. What I'm saying is they probably need to go after him hard this summer and season -- like they've done with guys Kevin Lisch, Dwayne Polk and Dustin Maguire -- so the Bills are in better position when more schools start calling.

- Nate

So, you're saying that because he shortens his bench against certain teams that those bench players arent very talented? Is that what you are saying? Correct me if I'm wrong. I know a very good player named Will Jones who rarely played against decent teams as a junior for a good Belleville West team and then avg over 20 ppg this season and made the Riverwar All-Star Game. If you're not a very good basketball player, you wont play for Floyd Irons, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Everyone of those kids can really play. No dead weight.

There was a big kid in southeast Missouri a few years ago that showed a lot of upside as a freshman. The only real knock on the kid is that he wasn't aggressive, he was pretty thin, and didn't rebound well...

That kid is going to North Carolina this fall. Ask Leon Powell how soft he turned out to be!

fabulous athletes? how do you know they were better athletically then this kid when they were 15? BESIDES, the point is, they too werent good enough to play until they were in their late teens. as i said above, you cant teach 7 foot.

That summer is when he started to come out of his shell. He wasn't that aggressive during his freshman season in high school and certainly wasn't that physical. I thought he was actually a poor rebounder as a frosh and only average(for his size) as a soph.

The consensus back then was "If Tyler had half the piss & vinegar of his little brother in junior high(Ben), he might be something special.. Well, he certainly found it!

article from rivals

One of the many players that caught your eye on Saturday at Troy Johnson's Illinois Wolves tournament in Bolingbrook was St Louis Vashon sophomore forward Leon Powell. The 6-foot-7 wing man helped lead Vashon to the state championship game last season and has plenty of schools interested in him. Powell played for the St Louis Gameface 16-and-under team at the tournament.

Powell averaged 13 points, eight rebounds and two steals per game last season for Vashon and was named second team All-Metro by the St Louis Post-Dispatch. His team was undefeated, top-ranked by the USA Today till they lost the class 5A state championship game to North Carolina recruit Tyler Hansbrough's Poplar Bluff team.

The scouting report on Powell? A smooth slasher who can drive to the hole and score or hit the outside jumper. He has a nice handle, plays hard and is still growing. Impressive player who dominates at the 16-and-under level.

"The whole recruiting thing is kind of new to me. I don't know that I have a favorite or anything like that," said Powell after one of his games. "People tell me I have some offers but I am not really worried about any of that right now. Just trying to get better, stronger as a player."

"Missouri, St Louis University, Pitt, Southeast Missouri, Illinois, Southern Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Minnesota, really every school seems to be sending me stuff about their team. A bunch of schools were in to talk to my high school coach last month but I am not sure which ones."

Powell's teammate at Vashon, 6-foot-5 junior forward Bobby Hill is another prospect that likes the Illini along with several other schools.

"I am playing AAU ball this summer, then I will go to the Nike Camp in Indianapolis in June. I am looking forward to that."

What does Powell think about the Illini?

"I have known Coach Lowery (Chris Lowery former Illini assistant, current Southern Illinois head coach) for a long time. He recruits St Louis for Southern but before that he recruited for Illinois. He is a good guy but when he first talked to me, it was about Illinois."

"I like the style Illinois plays, Coach Weber is really liked in St Louis, he did a great job at Southern Illinois, now is doing a great job at Illinois. I fit their style of play. I like how they passed the ball last year, they weren't selfish, it was a fun team to watch. Illinois is definitely a school I am looking at but I am open, make sure everyone knows I am looking at everyone."(laughing)

"Someone said today Dee Brown was leaving Illinois to go to the NBA? I like watching him play there but he has to do what he thinks is right."