Soccer: Ward and John.....

SLUBALLS

From the www.stlsoccer.net site today :

"Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:42 pm Post subject: Tim Ward / Will John Leaving SLU

----------------------------------------------------------------------I flipped on KFNS at lunch today and heard Bob Ramsey, Jay Randolph and a guest talking about John and Ward leaving school to enter Project 40. I didn't catch who the guest was who was telling them this but he said it was 100% that they will no longer be with the team."

Man..........someone shoot me.

That's terrible!

Soccer has reached the level that college basketball and college football have been at for a long time. There used to be something pure about the game with seniors actually playing a significant factor on teams. Now we are going to be forced to recruit superstars who will only be around for a year or two. We were screwed by that this year, looks like next year as well.

At least SLU soccer can still get the superstars. many years like last and that will change, though.

I think you may be correct about soccer becoming like basketball and football. It is most unfortunate! SLU may have another poor year which is so atypical. Our past record is the envy of most colleges.

This past year the bright spot within SLU athletics was the women's soccer team which did very well. The men's team didn't live up to pre-season hype and had their worst season in 20 some years. And both the men's and women's bb teams are off to miserable starts.

Additionally, there is little news about the arena and fundraising. Ms. Levick has her work cut out for her.

>From the www.stlsoccer.net site today :

>

>"Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:42 pm Post subject: Tim Ward

>/ Will John Leaving SLU

>----------------------------------------------------------------------I

>flipped on KFNS at lunch today and heard Bob Ramsey, Jay

>Randolph and a guest talking about John and Ward leaving

>school to enter Project 40. I didn't catch who the guest was

>who was telling them this but he said it was 100% that they

>will no longer be with the team."

>

>Man..........someone shoot me.

>

>

What a blow this is to the program. Tim Ward was one of my favorite players. Hard nosed, smart, athletic tough SOB.

I've also heard a rumor(although I haven't been able to confirm this so take it for what it's worth) that Grazier and DiRamundo were leaving as well. If that's the case we are in serious trouble and there better be some young talent coming in more than the Mehlville sensation Dado.

GS