check out GOAT...

you won't be finding this book in your library any time soon. While brousing at Border's over the weekend I came across their demo copy of " A Tribute to Muhammed Ali - Greatest Of All Time" I could not belive this book!! I got about halfway through the 800 pages and it wore me out. It weighs 75 lbs, measures 20 x 20 x 6" thick. Check out the web page at www.taschen-goat.com if you can't find the real thing at your neighborhood bookstore.

Get your order in fast, only 9,000 will be sold for $3,000 each; and if you really want to impress your friends 1,000 of the Champs edition cost $7,500 and they throw in some modern art. I loved the photos and plan to go back soon to finish the rest of the book when I have a few more hours to spare.

I returned to Borders to look at the rest of the book and found that the demo copy ends at page 420, the rest were blank. It gave me more time to go back at look more closely at some of the amazing photos and text. My favorite photo is on p. 84 showing Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson and Joe Louis taken by Howard Bingham in LA in 1962. The web site has film and a small preview of this massive work.

I was lucky to arrive just as the Makaha Sons and a local Hawaiian group were singing a few songs to promote their new CD's in the cafe. A quite attractive lady was doing a hula and singing along. It was later mentioned she was a former Miss World! I was very impressed.

She wasn't hooping like the Bills, nor hula hooping. She was doing the famous native dance of Hawaii. Anyone who hasn't seen it performed properly is welcome to come to the Aloha Festival in the Presidio in San Francisco August 7 & 8 and save a trip to the islands. She also sang like an angel.

By the way I saw the Will Smith depiction of Ali last weekend on TV. Will did a good job and is a good looking guy, but Ali was prettier as he often boasted, IMO.