DePaul-eye view and Calipari's bravado

kwyjibo

A "hey look what I found" view of DePaul's likely Bigger East invite. Interesting part is that DePaul's AD mentioned that Bigger East, C-USA, and A-10 commisioners all cooked up the switches cooperatively (which is fine). I think it is hilarious that Banowsky would view this as "proactive" for the conference (it is a good thing for many of the individual schools but the WHOLE is NOT good for C-USA):

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_s...?intID=37916193

Calipari waxes on the new C-USA and provides some bulletin board material: "I'm not worried about anybody else in the league". He just does not want to play any of them: "we can't be strapped by the number of leaugue games" (he will lobby for a 14 game schedule).

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/tigers_womens...2365770,00.html

Calipari has a point and I kinda feel sorry for the Memphis fans (although I could give a $hit less about Cal). Memphis has been doing pretty good the past few years and are on there way to becoming a consistent winner. With these shakeups, the basketball program will be in some trouble if left in C-USA. Their RPI will likely suffer tremendously from the conference schedule and therefore allow very little leaway in scheduling out of conference opponents. Not to mention that they will have to probably go looking for a new coach soon.

My guess is that Calapari will love this new arrangement in the short term because he will get 22-25 wins a year and will make the big dance as a relatively top seed. The whole new conference is weak in the bb area with the loss of Cinn, Louisville, Marquette, DePaul, Charlotte and the Bills. If he wins all of those games and wins the conference or the conf. tournament his lowere RPI will not matter. Also, I am sure he will still schedule some big money games--he is a darling of some of the tv execs. His recruiting is stong and his ego will be stoked by the big win seasons. He will probably tire of it after 3-5 years but only if he sees a better opportunity. He left a mess at UMass and I would bet he will leave a mess at Memphis.