the TL scholarship

jjray

OK, nothing new in Billiken nation: it's late April and we are sitting on a scholarship. Next year, T. Frericks, Reggie Bryant, and Izik Ohanan shall all exhaust eligibility so there shall be at least 4 scholarships for next year (the scholarship formerly held by Floyd McClain is the 4th with a potential 5th if we fail to fill the TL scholarship this year). Given that we are already holding 4 for next year, I think we should go ahead and fill the scholarship assuming we can get a player who can help (an Izik or Drejaj type would be great). Here are the options as I see it:

a) Hold for a potential transfer (ala Reggie Bryant),

B) Look for an available big guard / SF (Terry Evans has the right profile; haven't seen him play but 3Star is adamant that he can't guard the chair in my office--but my chair has wheels and occasionally my butt can't catch up to it),

c) Look for a European big,

d) Look for an available project for the front court.

With Bryce, Ian, and JJ, I think we are maxed out for the time being on guys that need several years to develop. Options (a) and (B) are not necessarily mutually exclusive. A guy like Drejaj popped up out of nowhere by qualifying late. Brad has really impressed me with what he has done previously late in the recruiting cycle so I am still holding out hope. Maybe he can pull another rabbit out of the hat (another Reggie Bryant would be huge).

I would also be in favor of using the scholarship now, rather than later. Perhaps a juco point guard like Carl Turner or Ferg, who would be content to be a nice role player and help take a little pressure off Polk. Of course an athletic 3 who can fill it up would also look good. If those options aren't there, then a big time transfer would do.