RPIForecast.com and automatic bids

AlumniFan

At the risk of starting a big debate, according RPIForecast.com, the Billikens have a 43.90% chance of receiving an automatic bid. By comparison, Kansas has a similar chance (43.41%), Temple has a 17.96% chance, Xavier an 8.30% chance, Mizzou has a 28.29% chance, and Illinois has a 0.52% chance.

I am sure this is suspect, because I could not find many teams with a higher percentage chance (Wichita State was just above 50% and Kentucky was 61%), but it was pretty interesting. I may be reading this wrong, but I think (for once in my life) I may be right.

Let the debate begin...

P.S. I apologize if this has been posted, but I did not see it anywhere.

Yes, that would make sense which makes this even more interesting and promising for the Bills especially vis a vis the Owls. In any event, yes, you would not expect many teams to be that high to begin with.

RPIforecast.com uses Sagarin predictor with Bill James' log 6 algorithm to forecast winners of all the conference tournaments. SLU is currently at 99% likely to get an at-large bid to the NCAA using the Sagarin predictor so couple that with the 44% chance of winning the A-10 that means we have a 99.44% chance at tourney purity. (I know statistically it does not work like that--IF we lost 3-5 games down the stretch we would not be favorites in the A-10). Even calculated with proper adjusters SLU is currently well over 90% likely to be in the tourney.

Chance of getting auto-bid, from RPI Forecast:

SLU - 43.9%

Temple - 17.96%

Xavier - 8.3%

La Salle - 7.5%

St Joes - 6.78%

UMass - 5%

St Bona - 4.8%

Dayton - 3.2%

Duquesne - 1.32%

Richmond/Charlotte/GW - less than 1% each

Fordham/Rhode Island - essentially 0%

That seems really high. We need to be 90% to win in the quarters, then 80% to win in the semis, then 60% in the finals, if you multiply them that comes out to about 43% to win all 3 in a row.