Why do people get bent out of shape?

Tonka

I'm curious why people get bent out of shape when members come on this board and complain about RM? Especially, when they are posters who have been around for a while. I never understood that. Are we supposed to all like everything about our program, our coach, our players, our style of play all the time? Isn't staying stuff on here like "keeping it all in the family"?

Is complaining about RM on a message board any different then what RM is doing? Actually, it kind of is. RM is taking his complaints nationally and is a public figure so he gets heard. People on here are posting their complaints on a team's message board and aren't public figures.

On another note, didn't RM say the A-10 was better than the MVC when he got here? So, he now feels different? I think he also said he would like to be in the Big East. I always thought we might want to finish in the Top 3 of the A-10 before we go wanting to upgrade conferences. Now, that he's seen the competition in the A-10 could it be he feels it would be too hard to finish Top 2-3 year in and year out and now wants to downgrade conferences? Hopefully, that isn't the case and what we're paying a million for.

So, then it must be travel. Although, what about this Philly trip would have been different with a Chartered flight? Absolutely nothing because of how early he likes to get in town before a game. And, if academics are more important than winning, then wouldn't he change his policy for wanting to get into cities as early as the team does? You would think so.

Something is not adding up.

I'm curious why people get bent out of shape when members come on this board and complain about RM? Especially, when they are posters who have been around for a while. I never understood that. Are we supposed to all like everything about our program, our coach, our players, our style of play all the time? Isn't staying stuff on here like "keeping it all in the family"?

Is complaining about RM on a message board any different then what RM is doing? Actually, it kind of is. RM is taking his complaints nationally and is a public figure so he gets heard. People on here are posting their complaints on a team's message board and aren't public figures.

On another note, didn't RM say the A-10 was better than the MVC when he got here? So, he now feels different? I think he also said he would like to be in the Big East. I always thought we might want to finish in the Top 3 of the A-10 before we go wanting to upgrade conferences. Now, that he's seen the competition in the A-10 could it be he feels it would be too hard to finish Top 2-3 year in and year out and now wants to downgrade conferences? Hopefully, that isn't the case and what we're paying a million for.

So, then it must be travel. Although, what about this Philly trip would have been different with a Chartered flight? Absolutely nothing because of how early he likes to get in town before a game. And, if academics are more important than winning, then wouldn't he change his policy for wanting to get into cities as early as the team does? You would think so.

It's interesting how little the players care about what conference they're in -- they want to play basketball and win games. I think being a student-athlete is great, but let's pull the blinds up a bit...basketball has always come first for a lot of today's student-athletes. Maybe Paul Eckerle is a guy who realized he's never going to play in the NBA, but maybe he could be an athletic trainer or team physician for the Chicago Bulls or something, so he took a different route to achieve his dreams. Now a guy like (and this is not racial at all) Willie Reed - has the raw tools to make it at the next level - but maybe he's not going to be the next professor emeritus of the Dept. of Political Science at SLU - and that's fine for Willie. But Willie has to get by at SLU and perform on the court (not necessarily the classroom) to get to the next level.

For every Alan Page who went from the football field to being a Supreme Court justice in the state of Minnesota, there's probably 35 or 40 Greg Oden's. That is unfortunate, but that is the state of our student-athlete or athlete-student.

Yes, I understand Majerus' gripe. But maybe all this "publicity" is really for the parents of our recruits, to reassure them that their sons will get the best education available at SLU. I really don't think it's a push for private charter coach travel, but then again, I've never had the opportunity to be on Majerus' side of things.

Here's my theory: Majerus just got a little cranky last night when he discovered that Domino's wouldn't deliver pizzas to his hotel room during the blizzard.

I'll say this, though: The Big Man sure knows how to take the luster off a road win...

Here's my theory: Majerus just got a little cranky last night when he discovered that Domino's wouldn't deliver pizzas to his hotel room during the blizzard.

I'll say this, though: The Big Man sure knows how to take the luster off a road win...

We should have been crackin' beers like Morris Buttermaker.

Posted Image

I think people get upset when the criticism seems motivated by an agenda - when they go looking for a reason to find fault. They have, of course, the right to complain all they want, but when they continue to harp about RM continually they lose all credibility. At times, it appears that some posters dislike for RM is so intense they allow it to overshadow the best interests of the team.