the Ian dunk

jjray

It seemed like an innocuous play at first glace. Our guards dump the ball downlow to Ian, his defender falls, and Ian takes it home strong for a dunk. ... But I think all of us have been calling for Izik to do this all year. As he again showed last night, Izik can beat a big man off the dribble at will but then he goes to the finger roll around the rim and the play is in the hands of the basketball rim gods. Not long after Ian's dunk, Izik comes up with, not one, but two dunks!!! One being that monster slam where he almost got the technical for hanging on the rim.

I think a little light bulb went on inside the minds of our two European big men last night (Israel is not part of the EU but, in terms of basketball style, I think it is safe to include them)--dunk the damn thing whenever possible! Then you either have a basket or free throws or, the best of all worlds, a bucket and one. I'm sure the coaching staff has been preaching this all year.

BTW, I know JJ did not play many minutes but how big was that offensive rebound and putback off (I believe) a missed free-throw. Getting that guy just a little bit of confidence and positive vibe about his game going into next season is vital.