Ike Turner 1931-2007

alameda bob

I will remember one of the pioneers of R&R in St. Louis and the world from the time I went to a nightclub in North SL that I don't recall the name of and saw the Kings of Rhythm. The place had a wooden picket fence down the middle of the room. Booze was served on one side, I was in the kiddie side and watched in awe as Tina rocked while about 8 months pregnant and Ike stayed in the background until his guitar solo. What a great place back in the late 50's, I'm sure could not happen today.

I hope everyone attending the opening concert at Chafetz has a good time. Check out Peter Hartlaub's Awesomeness Meter in todays Chronicle at www.sfgate.com He says that "more than any other influence, your first concert determines your outcome as a human being"

I will remember one of the pioneers of R&R in St. Louis and the world from the time I went to a nightclub in North SL that I don't recall the name of and saw the Kings of Rhythm. The place had a wooden picket fence down the middle of the room. Booze was served on one side, I was in the kiddie side and watched in awe as Tina rocked while about 8 months pregnant and Ike stayed in the background until his guitar solo. What a great place back in the late 50's, I'm sure could not happen today.

I hope everyone attending the opening concert at Chafetz has a good time. Check out Peter Hartlaub's Awesomeness Meter in todays Chronicle at www.sfgate.com He says that "more than any other influence, your first concert determines your outcome as a human being"

So you're a wife beating drunk?

You guys missed my point. Ike was no angel, just a great pioneer that helped start a new kind of fun for us younguns, that was called Rock & Roll.

My running buddy from the 50's reminded me of the name of the place with the fence, the Club Imperial, a North St. Louis institution. Anyone else old enough to remember?

Go see Check Barry while you still can. Then you can tell your grandkids about it someday.

Peace and Love

You guys missed my point. Ike was no angel, just a great pioneer that helped start a new kind of fun for us younguns, that was called Rock & Roll.

My running buddy from the 50's reminded me of the name of the place with the fence, the Club Imperial, a North St. Louis institution. Anyone else old enough to remember?

Go see Check Barry while you still can. Then you can tell your grandkids about it someday.

Peace and Love

I'm w/ you, I was anticipating the "domestic squabble" jokes and it's a shame that that aspect of his life overshadows everything else. Of course I'll pile on once the gauntlet's thrown down, that's in my mission statement. But he was a fine musician, and those early days of rock and roll are rapidly getting away from us.

w/ that statement in mind, anyone who likes, as I categorize it, "straight ahead no bull$h!t a$$hole bar rock" check out my friends' local band, Victoria. http://www.myspace.com/victoriastl They just released their debut EP and it's very good.

I promise, they're not another typical "hey, check out my buddy's band!!!" group. They're legit. I'm actually going to give my dad a copy for Christmas cuz I think he'll truly appreciate it. BELIEVE ME. You could ride a Harley across the U.S. listening to just these 7 songs.

The dudes even have "straight ahead no bull$h!t a$$hole bar rock" names - David "Dagger" Moore, Chad Rogers and Steve Andrews. Doesn't get any more "straight ahead no bull$h!t a$$hole bar rock" than that.

I remember going to that club. It was Club Imperial on N. Florissant. You could catch Ike there and Chuck Berry would also play around town. I remember catching Chuck at the old Alhambra Grotto on Grand and Magnolia. What was neat about Ike is that he also played at my high school Roosevelt. Billy Peak was a student at the time and Ike would leave Billy join in. Adding Tina to the band was great. I was sad about the domestic problems, but I retain fond memories of Ike and Tina. I think the owner of Club Imperial was George Edick(sp).