Riverwar/All-Star War

AJ

I saw two pretty good games tonight with my first look at Anthony Mitchell, our new recruit.

In the first game the St. Louis Stars played to KC all-stars. St. Louis roster included Rodney Ford, Alfred Nelson, Garren Lafser, Mike Baker and others. Ford was the most productive guard, Nelson the most productive inside player. Nelson will attend Drury, Ford is unsigned, but being recruited by several MVC schools. KC won easily with Utah signee Reggie Chamberlain leading the way with 40 + points.

The Missouri/Illinois game was the feature event. Probably as much raw talent as I've seen in an all-star game in a long time. Lots of big men including Iowa signee Jarryd Cole of Winnetonka faced up against Indiana signee Brandon McGee from Chicago area. These two guys had their own slam dunk contest with Tyus joining in. Leon Powell played very well as did Zack Plackemeier and George Goode of Raytown South. On the Illinois side, Mitchell showed some good quickness and good moves around the hoop. He also hit a 3pt shot. He appears to be about 6'3" and showed some flashes on the perimeter, but seems most comfortable taking the ball to the hoop; a little bit of a Sanyja

Watts type player. SIUC signees Nick Evans of Carbondale and Joe Allarie of Edwardsville both looked good. Lacey of Alton had a good game. The most interesting unsigned player was 7'0" Terrace Williams of Edwardsville. From what I could gather he has only played varsity ball one year. He is a raw athlete with good speed and agility, but with limited skills. He lists Ball State as his top college choice and is also looking at some division II schools. Has a 21 ACT score. A quicker, and more athletic version of Husak who could develop into something with the right coach and the right program. Had a couple and dunks and some nice offensive moves, although he is not very aggressive on either end of the floor. A good night.

Stokes looked good although he was overshadowed by 5'8" UAB signee Aaron Johnson of Chicago Hubbard who had a sensational game with a series of no look passes, incredible layups, 3pt. shots, etc. Stokes hit one nice 3 but could not do much inside, which is his primary game. Stokes apparently will attend Vincennes JC in the fall. Harrellson had some nice power moves inside, but certainly is not in the same league with several of the other big men there. Maybe tried to do a little too much showboating, dribbling the ball the length of the floor, etc. Typical all-star game stuff.

Missouri won by 1 pt. Mitchell fumbled away a pass at the buzzer from Aaron Johnson that would've won it. Harrellson rebounded his @$$ off. McGee and Cole were very impressive. Johnson is a blur that made a very quick stokes look slow. Chamberlain from the KC game was amazing. I saw him as a 2 star prospect on scout all summer and he didnt have any offers, so I didnt know if he was that good. I guess I shouldn't value scouts evaluations very much or just assume that if the kid is on the database he must be doing something right. I dont know if Utah came to see someone else play and caught a glimpse of him, but they got a steal. Nick Evans ia GREAT player. Lowery has a great 6'11 big man coming in next year. He dunked everything inside. He blocked shots. His dunks were contested, even had one chest to chest on Cole in the 1st half. What did you think of Doss?

I got there just as the dunk/3 pt contest was ending, although the game itself featured more dunks than I think I've seen in an All-Star game.

It's always hard to tell how good people are in these games because there is an unwritten rule that everyone slacks a little on defense. All that considered, I agree with V-Time's assessment of Nick Evans as a solid big man for SIU. We'll see what Lowry can do with some size in his lineup. As for Doss, I've seen him play 4-5 times and he is an impressive athlete but with limited outside shooting skills. What are his plans ? He's a player who could develop into something in a solid JUCO program. What do you think of Ford from Afton ? It was the first time I've seen him play but I was impressed with his game.

I love Ford's game and I used to mention him several times, but I started getting PM's from a source that his grades arent right. I thought he would've been a great pickup for SLU. He's a real 6'5 with great ballhandling, size,rebounding, defense and court vision. He lead the area in assists this year. He nearly averaged a triple double. He's a great player. I would redshirt Evans next year, so he and Booker can play all 4 years together. Falker redshirted and he and Shaw ended being together all 4 years. Evans is a really good player, but Falker, Shaw, and Boyle all return next year. He would be wasting a year of eligibility as he would be the 4th big man off the bench. Although he is better than Boyle, Boyle is such a solid presence and he just saved their season last Friday, so I wouldnt want him to have to worry about losing his spot in the rotation. Having Roundtree, Booker, and Evans in the same graduating class would be something special. Evans is really, really good. Doss is more than likely going to Junior College. I think he's playing in today's unsigned senior showcase at Lewis & Clark CC. Maybe he can get some looks today. I dont know how his grades are. He's a big strong guard who's calling card is defense. He's athletic, knows how to play. I think life might be kicking his butt. He just doesnt look happy out there on the court.

> I would redshirt Evans next year, so

>he and Booker can play all 4 years together. Falker

>redshirted and he and Shaw ended being together all 4 years.

>Evans is a really good player, but Falker, Shaw, and Boyle

>all return next year. He would be wasting a year of

>eligibility as he would be the 4th big man off the bench.

>Although he is better than Boyle, Boyle is such a solid

>presence and he just saved their season last Friday, so I

>wouldnt want him to have to worry about losing his spot in

>the rotation. Having Roundtree, Booker, and Evans in the

>same graduating class would be something special. Evans is

>really, really good.

Evans has only played 3 years of organized b-ball. There is no doubt that he will redshirt next year. Carlton Fay will be the first big off the bench. Evans has a chance to be a very special player in a few years.

Thanks for the info. Also, congrats on a great year and a great tourney so far. You guys have done a better overall job recruiting in St. Louis over the past 10 years than we have. One thing a lot of people don't realize is that you have had some stability on your staff through the last 3 coaches changes, while SLU has had 3 complete staff turnovers in the last 10 years. Positive relationships with local high school coaches is one of the big contributors to recruiting success.